We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better? August or April

Mauldin, S. C.
1 post
Save Topic
Which is better? August or April

My husband & I just found out that we will be able to get a week off from work and would like to go to Washington DC the week of August 6. I have been searching the internet for a good deal on a hotel and my brain is fried right now with all the choices. We are a little concerned about the crowds and the heat/humidity of August. We could wait and go the early part of April when our kids (ages 13 and 11) have spring break. We would also have more time for planning and getting advance tickets for the White House, etc. Any advice on which is the better time for a visit?

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
White House
White House
6,864 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better? August or April

Both August and April are very crowded. The first week of April is usually during the Cherry Blossom Festival, and we have major crowds. However the weather in April is much, much nicer, and if you are lucky to be here when the cherry blossoms are in bloom, you will be seeing Washington DC at it's most beautiful. August is incredibly hot and humid, but since you are from South Carolina, it will probably feel just like home. So my choice would be go to April, to enjoy the weather and the festival.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better? August or April

Tough decision: August weather vs. April weather . . . I think April is much more crowded in DC, espec during school holidays (spring break). August is less crowded because so many "natives" of the area go on vacation out of the area, whereas in April most of us are here, cluttering up the Metro and the roads driving to and from work! BTW, while August is predictably hot and steamy, April is less predictable--it can be just gorgeous or we can have a full week of rain--spring showers and all that.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better? August or April

It can not only be rainy in early April in DC, but downright cold. I've lived here 35 years and early April is very "iffy" on weather. Can easily be in the low 50's with blustery winds. On the other hand, August can be fine. My vote is August.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better? August or April

Well, I've lived here 14 years, and have to take the opposite opinion. It's true that April can have some chilly days, but it can also have some gloriously beautiful days. It's more likely to have chilly nights. And August is more likely than not to be horribly hot and humid. So my vote is April.

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better? August or April

Well, if we're going to toss years-of-residence around, I've lived here for 50 years and I say August is more predictable.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
264 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better? August or April

I would have to say that I would choose August instead of April......April is such and "iffy" month..this year was pretty nice, however, the rain and come and your entire trip my have to be spent indoors....August will be HOT and HUMID, however the weather usually holds up and if you get a partly cloudy day, then you are usually fine......AUGUST!!!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better? August or April

I lived in Cabin John for years.

If you guys don't like rain, why do you keep mentioning August over April? For rain, I'd say the two months are a toss-up.

In August's typical heat & humidity, you're often guaranteed a good thunderstorm every afternoon and every night. Don't forget...this portion of the Potomac is a swamp.

April can have rain too, but its showers can be colder and more prolonged.

As an after thought, in April, you can catch Congress in session if you feel like it. In August, they're on break.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better? August or April

I vote for April. It's far easier to travel in cooler weather, and the comment about the Cherry Blossoms beauty is dead-on. Springtime in the area has an energy that August lacks.

And as you stated, the additional time will allow for tour arrangements that would otherwise be impossible.