We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In D.C. Have a few questions

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Andalusia, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
In D.C. Have a few questions

We are finally here and have been having a GREAT TIME. What would be the best way to get to the National Cathedral by way of Metro. We will be using tourmobile today and it does not go there, I know Old Town Trolley does but would also be about 50 bucks more for the whole family to use and its not worth that to us. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also some places for breakfast and dinner around the south part of Dupont that is kid friendly and fairly inexpensive ($15 or less) a person. We tried Baja Fresh last night and it was pretty good. Kids (12 and 7 yrs old)like plain old American type food. Thanks again, by the way I really appreciate all the suggestions we received before we got here, right on the money.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In D.C. Have a few questions

the national cathedral is closest to the Tenleytown (sp??) metro station, which is on the RED line. it's not within walking distance so you would have to take a cab or bus from the metro to get to the cathedral. it will probably take you about 10 minutes or so to get there and it's approximately a $10 cab ride. sorry, not familiar with dupont so can't recommend a good restaurant.

oh... and if you ever consider taking old town trolley, you will NOT be disappointed because i hear its a really great tour!

hope this helps. have fun!!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In D.C. Have a few questions

Check out www.wmata.com for bus/rail schedules. My family LOVES the National Catherdral. The architecture and ambiance is amazing.

From Tenleytown

�� Take the Metro Red Line to the Tenleytown/AU station.

�� Exit on the west side of Wisconsin Avenue.

�� Take any "30" series bus (#30, #32, #34 or #36) going south on Wisconsin Avenue.

�� Ride approximately one and one-half miles south on Wisconsin Avenue to the Cathedral. (This is a downhill walk, if you prefer to walk.)

From Dupont Circle

�� Take the the N2, N3, N4, or N6 bus until you reach the corner of Massachusetts and Wisconsin Avenues.

�� Walk north on Wisconsin one-half block to the Cathedral.

From Woodley Park

�� Take a 90 or 92 bus toward McLean Gardens.

�� Get off the bus at the corner of Woodley and Wisconsin Avenues.

�� The Cathedral is on the east side of Wisconsin Avenue.

Washington National Cathedral

Massachusetts and Wisconsin Avenues, NW

Washington, DC 20016-5098

Tel: (202) 537-6200

e-mail:tours@cathedral.org

For more information on public transportation, call Metro Information at (202) 637-7000 (TDD: (202) 638-3780) or check www.wmata.com.

TOURS

There are different types of tours. Check out...

www.cathedral.org/cathedral/visit/tour.shtml

Standard tours begin at the Cathedral���s west end. Please call (202) 364-6616 for a weekly listing of special events and check touring conflict information for interruptions to the tour schedule. Donation: $3 adult, $2 senior citizen, $1 child.

For special focus tours, fees vary depending on the tour category.

Please note that due to heavy tourist demand March through June, tours may be slightly shorter.

check out the link below for specifics.

www.cathedral.org/cathedral/visit/hour.shtml

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,299 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In D.C. Have a few questions

The metro in DC is so great that people sometimes forget there are busses too. I am not familiar with the bus route numbers, but some of the routes that go west on Pensylvania Av to Georgetown go up Wisconsin Av directly to the National Cathedral. You also get the advantage of seeing Georgetown and other areas from above ground. Sightseeing is not one of the strong points of riding the metro.

Bus routes are posted on bus stations in a lot of places. You need to pay cash. I am not sure if or how metro passes work on the bus.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In D.C. Have a few questions

Pizze Paradiso is great pizza a block west of Dupont circle, (P nw between 20th & 21st I am pretty sure) its a small place but it moves pretty quickly. And not expensive.