We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Arlington, Virgina

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in Arlington, Virgina

Hi!

We'll be in Washington, D.C. the week of July 11th. Is there anything we should see in Arlington, VA? Also, which tour is better - the Red Trolley or the Old Trolley Tour?

I really enjoy this website chock full of good information and nice people! Thank you!

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Arlington, Virgina

chauchat, writing in the thread started Jun 12 by flythefam sez: "we really liked the Old Town Trolley Tour." If you do a search on this page using "trolley tour," you'll find other references and comments.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Arlington, Virgina

There are a few really fun/cool/interesting things to see in Arlington....

1. Arlington Cemetery - Metro stop, Arlington Cemetery

arlingtoncemetery.org/visitor_information/in…

2. Iwo Jima - Metro stop, Rosslyn

http://pages.arlingtoncounty.com/iwo_jima.htm

3. Old Town Alexandria - just a few miles from Arlington

Be sure you check out the Old Torpedo Factory (now shops and restaurants) on the waterfront.

http://www.funside.com/

4. Gravelly Point - no metro

A park at the end of National Airport - good if you love planes, bad if you do not like loud noises.

www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn…

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Arlington, Virgina

Kari --

I live in Arlington. Where are you staying. Perhaps I can give you some restaurant tips/area info.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Arlington, Virgina

Kariann1, the old Torpedo Factory on the Old Town Alexandria waterfront does have a couple of shops and a Chart House restaurant directly next door, but the real attraction is that it's filled with working artists' studios/galleries -- painting, ceramics, sculpture, you name it.

For shopping, the principal street in Old Town -- King St. -- is directly around the corner from the Torpedo Factory and is lined with shops and restaurants of all kinds for a good 12-14 blocks leading from the waterfront all the way to the King St. Metro station. If you come by Metro, which the City would like because parking is difficult, there's a free shuttle bus down to the waterfront, unfortunately bearing the slogan "Alexandria -- The Fun Side of the Potomac."

If you're arriving on or before Saturday, July 11, the City's combined Independence Day/256th-city-birthday celebration will be in one of the waterfront parks that afternoon and evening. Band and orchestral music and other entertainment, followed by fireworks over the river at 9:15 pm. (Alexandria prefers to celebrate the two holidays together, a week after the rest of the country has exhausted itself on July 4.)

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Arlington, Virgina

Thank you for the helpful hints!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Arlington, Virgina

Kariann1, re your inquiry on Arlington hotels, see my reply on the "Can You Help?" thread.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Arlington, Virgina

Yes, thank you for your reply!

I am putting many of the messages I read into Microsoft Word and then will go through them to sort out what I need to know. There are at least three places we will visit that I did not have information or websites.

Everyone has been so helpful! One more week and we'll be there! Yay!