We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for upscale (but not TOO pricey) hotel in DC area

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for upscale (but not TOO pricey) hotel in DC area

I've been pouring over all of the hotels in the Washington DC area and I'm hoping some of you can help me. My husband and I are attending a wedding (in DC) in September and we're looking for a reasonable but nice hotel for our five night stay. From my research, I think we would prefer the Dupont/Woodley or Georgetown/Foggy Bottom areas. We want to be close enough to the museums, monuments, etc, but far enough to avoid all of the heavy traffic, noise, etc. We will be renting a car and probably using that most of the time. I'm leaning towards the Omni or Westin Embassy Row ($129 special right now). Would love to stay at the Fairmont but too pricey for us right now considering we're still paying off our own wedding! We'd like to be within walking distance of restaurants, parks while still having the services of a hotel (restaurant, spa/massage). Nothing too small. Can anyone give us recommendations on hotels? $130-$160/night. Anyone have any luck on priceline or hotwire? Thanks so much!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for upscale (but not TOO pricey) hotel in DC area

Posters in this forum have had luck bidding for hotel rooms. If that's what you want to do, I would suggest looking at:

www.betterbidding.com first.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for upscale (but not TOO pricey) hotel in DC area

I've had friends stay in the Tabard Inn in the Dupont Circle area of DC. They liked it and thought it was a nice, unique hotel and not too pricey. Please reconsider using your car in DC. DC is a nightmare to drive in, and you won't be able to find parking near the attractions anyway. Luckily, DC is very walkable and the Metro is convenient.

Chicago
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for upscale (but not TOO pricey) hotel in DC area

DuPont Circle is very nice. there is a Metro stop right there so it is easy to navigate the city. I stayed at the Hilton Embassy Row (does not have a spa) but was very convenient. And, as the last guy said, unless you MUST have your car (you will be driving a good distance from the beltway, or you have a lot of luggage to deal with for the wedding) you should go with the Metro. It is nothing like Chicago's El, it is unbelievable clean, extreemly easy to navigate and the transfer stations are much nicer than Chicago's "transfer" stations.