We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit DC?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
13 reviews
Best time to visit DC?

Despite living not too far away I have never seen the Capitol; just always put it off in favor of another destination. But this year I've vowed to come.

However, not sure when the best time to come is.I would like to come during temperate weather for walking but have also heard many complaints about the heat in summer. Also want to avoid the most busy times like Cherry Blossom or school vacations.

What's the best month to visit if you had your choice?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1. Re: Best time to visit DC?

I think that Spring and Christmas are the best times to visit DC. Spring has beautiful flowering trees and bulbs but no extremely high temperatures. Christmas in DC has beautiful decorations, parties and fairly small crowds.

DC
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
1 review
2. Re: Best time to visit DC?

The problem with visiting in the spring is that it's too unpredictable. You can have lousy or delightful weather any time from early March through the end of April. October (plus or minus a couple of weeks) is far more reliably nice and this year you'll have the added benefit of Congress being away, so the town will smell better.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Best time to visit DC?

Early to mid October would be lovely. Slight chance any of the summer heat will still be around and it won't be too cold just yet. The air is crisp for walking the rain shouldn't be a factor yet and the leaves should start turning colors a little.

It won't be busy schools are all in. There aren't any holidays in October except for Columbus Day and a lot of our local school districts don't get that day off and there aren't any events scheduled usually.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Best time to visit DC?

Anytime from late september to early november gets my vote.

Of course this time period applies to the whole east coast, generally...

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Best time to visit DC?

My two cents.... Late September to late October. The weather is generally really good to fantastic. It is one of my favorite times of year for weather. The other nice part about this time of year is school is in session and most schools are in class and not taking field trips.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Best time to visit DC?

If you're choosing only one month, I vote for October as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Best time to visit DC?

Well sounds like a consensus! I was thinking maybe May but will take your advice. Plus Oct is my birthday so a trip would be the thing.

Thanks. i'll be back to plan further.

Maryland
Level Contributor
234 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Best time to visit DC?

I'm a little late, but I agree with the others about September and October. I love April and May as well... but you'll have to fight the crowds, especially if it's around the time the cherry blossoms are out.

9. Re: Best time to visit DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 19, 2009