We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Prague
2 posts
how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Hello,

i have a question for you. In March I'll be flying from PHL to Washington Reagan National airport, but i didn't notice that i will have to change the airport then. I will have to get to Dulles International Airport.

Can I make it in 2 HOURS? Could you please tell me the best way how to get there (the quickest way)? Or how much would cost the taxi?

Thank you very much for your answer,

Your's Simcerely.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Tom,

DCA and IAD are about 30 miles apart and there is no rail service between them. The drive with absolutely no traffic would take about one hour. Unfortunately traffic in the area between the two airports can be very very bad so the drive will probably take longer. Using public transportation requires a 10 minute train ride then a transfer to a bus ride of about 60 minutes. I would call a local taxi company and ask their opinion. You can try Diamond Transportation (703) 912-7606 or Alexandria Cab (703) 451-8026. That will be an expensive taxi ride. It sounds like a very bad plan.

DC
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
1 review
2. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

If you're not at rush hour, you can make it in under an hour, but not by much. A little over half of the trip is on an express road that has little traffic, but there are almost always speed traps along it, so cab drivers won't speed.

If you're arriving at IAD any time between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm, you may encounter pretty long lines. That may be as much of a problem for you as the transfer between airports.

Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
703 posts
302 reviews
3. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

You might want to try Dulles Shuttle, which runs buses between the two airports - though I have not taken it in a while. In any case, you are in for an "interesting" experience. Good luck.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
140 reviews
4. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Washington Flyer no longer runs the buses between Dulles and National. (www.washfly.com). However, you can take a Washington Flyer bus to the West Falls Church Metro station. This bus is an express ride and uses the Dulles Access Road which is only for airport traffic. You will be at West Falls Church in about 25 minutes. From West Falls Church, you take a train (www.wmata.com) heading to New Carrollton and get off at Rosslyn. From there, transfer to a blue line train to National Airport. Depending on what time of day you arrive at Dulles, you can take a taxi to National. This is the most expensive way to do it but--depending on the time of day--could be the fastest way, or the slowest.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
140 reviews
5. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Sorry--just noticed I reversed the directions! From National, take the blue line to Rosslyn, then the orange line to West Falls Church, then the Washington Flyer bus.

Prague
2 posts
6. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Thanks guys...

i should arrive to Reagan Natioanal around 16.00PM. it looks like the traffic is very bad at this time, right?

Thanks again

Tom

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
42 posts
7. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Yes the traffic will be very bad at that time.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Tom,

I don't know if this is an option for you, but you might want to see if it is possible to change your ticket and fly directly from PHL to IAD. If you are flying on US Air, this route should be offered. You will spend at least $60 on the taxi ride, so you will be paying some money either way. But better pay a bit more than potentially miss your flight.

Good luck!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

I agree with taking the Shuttle Bus directly between the two airports. Unfortunately public transportation is rather lacking in regards to getting to/from Dulles airport.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID)

Per the other post about your arrival time, I assume you mean 16:00 (4 pm Eastern) on a weekday? If so, then chances are that traffic will be terrible. Using the Dulles Access Road will remove the heavy rush hour traffic on the toll road, you will still probably be lucky to make it via taxi from DCA to IAD in under 1.5 hrs. Security lines at Dulles can be very long. I've had it take a solid hour on a weekday afternoon at 4 pm. Then again, I've breezed through in 15 mins before too, so you never know.

I'd try to change my flight to fly into IAD vs DCA.