We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

hi,

still trying to figure out our plan for when we visit the white house and can't bring our backpack in with us. what if we drive from our hotel in rockville to the metro station in bethesda and leave our car there? then it's only a 15 minute metro ride back to our car vs 30 min back to rockville. but i don't know what the traffic is like from rockville to bethesda at 7am? how long should i expect it to take? what's the best route to get to the metro in bethesda from rockville?

thanks,

gayle

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

The best route to take would be to take Rockville Pike (MD RT 355) all the way down to Bethesda. Traffic is bad in the morning, but at 7AM it shouldn't be unbearable. Check one of our local TV stations for traffic information before you leave or listen to WTOP 1500 AM for traffic reports. If there is an accident on the Pike you may never make it. Looking at the Metro system map, you might as well go one more station south to the Friendship Heights Metro stop. There are some garages there and you will be just a little bit closer to downtown. It should take about 30 minutes from Rockville.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

I should mention that Rockville Pike changes it's name to Wisconsin Avenue when it reaches Bethesda. Another perk of driving in this area is dealing with roads that have multiple names.

Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong, but why not park at a metro station closer to your hotel? There's parking at the Rockville, Twinbrook, White Flint and Grosvener Stations. They're on the same line as the Bethesda Station. If you're concerned about traffic, why not shorten your drive?

los angeles
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

shutter bug,

we're trying to find a way to store our belongings (backpack, camera, etc) close to downtown while we tour the white house. since there's no lockers, i'm thinking the next best thing is to drive the car as close as we can to a metro station, then hop on the metro to finish the route to the white house. that way, we won't have to go all the way back to rockville to get our things out of the car if we parked at the metro there.

gayle

washington dc
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

Be warned, there is not much parking, near the metro station in Bethesda. There is the parking garage at the Hyatt hotel right next to the metro station. But the spaces are tiny and tight, and if there are a lot of people staying at the hotel, there may not be many spaces.

Other parking garages in Bethesda are primarily county-run lots are mainly parking meters and they are strictly enforced. Street parking during the day in Bethesda is not recommended, more enforced parking meters. I would park in Rockville and take the metro down from there.....

There must be somewhere at the White house security to store bags, if not, maybe use a bell stand at one of the hotels close to the white house (they will never know you're not staying there), or the storage cubbies at the Smithsonian museums. It will sure beat having to go all the way out of dc to get your bags, then having to go back into town!

washington dc
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from rockville to bethesda-how bad is traffic in...

One other note, I drive north on 355 in the mornings from Bethesda at about 7 am, and there is alot of southbound traffic in the morning , with workers going to (and the security gates) at both NIH and the Navy Medical Center. And if 270 is having problems....forget about it!