We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary with a 12-year old girl

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Itinerary with a 12-year old girl

We will be going to visit DC in a few weeks, on a Sat. We've seen the memorials, and my 12-year old wants to go shopping in Georgetown, which we've also done, but apparently, never gets old. :) She also has been fascinated lately by bonsai.

My oldest daughter has just moved to the area, just outside the beltway in Maryland, in the Bethesda area. So we'll be staying with her, but she really isn't much help at advising us what will work and what won't. She's only been there one month, and working every day.

Here's my thoughts: Me, my husband and the 12-year old drive over to the National Arboretum from our oldest daughter's place, mostly to tour the bonsai collection. Will we be able to buy a small one for her? (we will be celebrating her 12th birthday!) Eat lunch at the Arboretum? Is there a place nearby to get a quick bite?

My husband, who dreads the idea of shopping in Georgetown, could drive us over to Wisconsin Ave., drop us off, and then go do whatever he wants. (probably go back to our oldest's place to relax!) We would spend all afternoon shopping for her birthday gifts.

My oldest tells me we could walk down M St. towards the direction of a Metro station, and she'll give me detailed instructions on how to take the metro, and her dad could then come pick us up at the station.

I'm thinking of then going back to Bethesda, and eating a late dinner at the Dave and Buster's, which is very close to my oldest daughter's place. Will a 12-year old like it? She's very into video games, so I think she would.

Next day, I'd like to go to Great Falls and hike around. That would please my husband, and the 12-year old both.

Is this doable? How is parking at the National Arboretum? How long will it take to drive from there to Georgetown?

Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary with a 12-year old girl

Hi:

Your itinerary is certainly doable. For the Arboretum, there is no food available inside or nearby. You could bring a picnic lunch, which would be nice if weather permits, or plan on eating lunch in Georgetown. They have a gift shop, but I don't know if they sell bonsais.

It will take about 15-20 minutes to drive to Gtown. You could walk to the Foggy Bottom metro or take the DC Circulator bus to the Farragut North stop for a straight shot to Bethesda on the red line (assuming that's where you want to get off).

Dave and Buster's would definitely be fun for a 12 year old. Be sure to check the age limits, though. I think there are times when they restict the ages there (over 21 only?). Have fun!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary with a 12-year old girl

The 12-year-old is fine at D&B (accompanied of course) until 11 p.m.

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary with a 12-year old girl

Thanks! One thing I've learned in all the visits to DC I've made, allow plenty of time to do anything!

I really can't see us staying at Dave and Buster's past 11, so that should be no problem.

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary with a 12-year old girl

I'm answering my own questions here: the Arboretum's gift shop is appallingly inadequate. They sell no bonsai, no plants of any kind, just mostly gimmicky souvenirs.

I could not find bonsai anywhere in D.C. :( We're shopping online for one! The Arboretum is fantastic, though. I could have spent all day there, easily.

Dave and Buster's was great too. Georgetown was a mad house though!!

5. Re: Itinerary with a 12-year old girl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 09, 2009