We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

England, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

Hi

I will be staying at the Hyatt Central (White house) next year, and would get the metro to Union station, but have seen many people say the Marc train is cheaper,but the Marc website is confusing as doesnt give me prices or list out the route, or do I goto the Amtrak website as can select from Union to airport on there (currently shows the price as $13)

Can someone please advise, also is it best to book trains now or book at the time.

Thank you for any advice

11 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

Here is the relevant MARC time table: https:/…Penn_Nov12_Full.pdf

Here is the fare chart: https:/…June2015One-Way-Fares-PennLine.pdf

As you can see, it’s $7. You buy your ticket at the vending machine in the station or through the app (or onboard, but there’s a significant surcharge if you do that). When you buy a MARC ticket, it’s not a ticket for a specific train; it’s good for any MARC train to the specified destination in the next six months.

England, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

Thank you so much for this information.

So do i gather on the timetable Washington is Union station, and it takes an hour to get the airport (is Baltimore/Penn the airport drop off).

Also at Union station is it easy to identify which train to catch so as not getting on the Amtrak train.

Again thank you so much for your help

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
174 posts
3. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

The airport is the stop labeled BWI Airport. Baltimore/Penn is downtown Baltimore. The Washington stop is indeed Union Station. There will be uniformed personnel on the platform to ensure you board the correct train.

England, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

Thank you, sorry didnt notice the airport stop on the schedule.

Your help is appreicated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
174 posts
5. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

Be aware, by the way, that the BWI rail station is not actually at the terminal but a short (free) shuttle bus ride away. The bus runs every 6-8 minutes and takes about the same amount of time to get to the terminal, so I’d factor in an extra 15-20 minutes to your schedule in case you just miss the bus and have to wait.

England, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

Thank you for that advice

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

You take the Red Line at Connecticut Avenue and K St (Farragut North) to Union Station (about 1.5 mile ride), and then go upstairs to the train part of the station for the MARC train, just like the way Tube trains stop at Victoria and then you go upstairs to the actual railroad station. Think of the MARC train as like the Overground but with separate ticketing.

Note that there is Farragut West station at I Street, which is NOT what you want. You want K St (and there is no J Street).

England, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

Thank you NorthofDC, that is really helpful information and makes my life so much easier.

I do not know what I would do without this site, it makes planning a lot easier.

DC
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
1 review
9. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

One final tip: exit the Metro platform at Union Station at the front of the train. If you've got some extra time at Union Station, check out the main hall.

Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused

And one more thing, the Amtrak runs on the exact same track as the Marc penn line. The Marc is cheaper and has more trains, but the Amtrak isn’t that much more as a one time thing if the timing is better.

Reply to: Union Station to Baltimore airport, a little confused
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted