We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rib Joints

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Topic
Rib Joints

Can anyone recommend good rib places in DC? I am looking more for a dinner than a take out lunch place. So far I have heard about Rocklands, Austins and Old Glory. Can anyone comment on these or recommend others.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rib Joints

I really like Old Glory. Their BBQ is surprisingly good. In Rosslyn, there is Red Hot and Blue (www.redhotandblue.com). However, I find them--as a chain--to be very inconsistent. The quality of their BBQ varies wildly--sometimes good, sometimes downright bad. If you really do want to try it, I recommend getting the wet BBQ. I'll take Old Glory anyday over Red Hot and Blue!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rib Joints

I don't like Rocklands so I wouldn't consider them. Their ribs are too tough and they don't taste very good.

Old Glory should be good. Also just over the Key Bridge from Georgetown in the Rosslyn section of Virginia, there is Red Hot and Blue. For a chain restaurant their ribs are pretty decent and you can get them in different sauces or dry.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rib Joints

Thanks, but is Old Glory a sit-down type of restaurant? I know the best BBQ is the casual, informal type of place, but I will be with a lot of people and need to take a long time to eat dinner!! Also, I am interested in a place that is convenient to the Metro.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rib Joints

Yes--Old Glory is a sit-down place. I have seen large groups dining there and didn't get the impression that they were being rushed. If possible--where ever you decide to eat--arrive for an early dinner. You will be seated more quickly and will feel less rushed.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rib Joints

I was a big fan of Hogs on the Hill - hickory-smoked pit bbq, with authentic sides (collard greens drowned in bacon fat, mac & cheese, coleslaw, and cornbread). The Capitol Hill location is now closed, but I think one of their franchises is still open on Bladensburg Road, but you gotta have a car (and a sense of adventure) to go there!

Capitol Q is near the Gallery Place Metro station and it'll do in a fix. Go there early, because by the end of the day, the meats are drying out, despite being wrapped in plastic to preserve their moisture.

Mexico City
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rib Joints

Old Glory is so bad, I can't belivee how successful it is. All the different cuts of meat, whether it is ribs, brisket or pulled pork, are horribel.

Hand down best ribs - Capital Q on H Street in Chinatwon.

7. Re: Rib Joints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 01, 2009