We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
193 reviews
Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

I spend some time looking for the answer online, but could not find the answer.

My wife and me will visit DC for 4 nights. We are staying in Falls Church, which has a a metro station (Orange and Silver line)

We plan to go into the city every day.

What would be our best option to go in the city if we would like to go by metro?

Buy a day pass?

Buy a single fare ticket?

Get the plastic card and put money on it?

9 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

As is recommended over and over on this forum, a regular SmarTrip card is the best option for nearly all tourists. The 1-day pass is a rip-off for most people. There is no single trip ticket. One SmarTrip card for each person.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

Also mentioned frequently - don't stay so far outside the city. A 40-60 min. twice a day is no fun. There are plenty of vacation rental apts. right in the city for as little as $125.00 per night total.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

Falls Church is not that far from the City, especially when you are near a Metro station. Many people who live way further out commute into the City everyday for work.

Just get a SmarTrip card for each person, and load some money in them to start going. When the balance runs low, refill again.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
298 reviews
4. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

The Metro ride would be closer to 30 minutes from either of the Falls Church stops (East Falls Church and West Falls Church).

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

I lived in Falls Church and my bus to metro commute was usually 35 minutes door to door.

Anyway, WMATA simply doesn't have good short term passes. That's unfortunate but your best bet is to just pay as you go. You won't end up spending much more than whatever passes you could have bought.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

Falls Church is a big postal zone, encompassing the small City of Falls Church, and a large part of Fairfax County. Be sure your hotel is even near the East Falls Church Station, which is in Arlington County, or the West Falls Church Station which is in Fairfax County. You hotel could be in "Falls Church and be 5 miles from the closest station. In fact, there are people who live in "Falls Church" who are near the "Dunn Loring" Station. You may be in for a long trek into DC.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

oh for heaven's sake, it isn't a "long trek" no matter what. And some people on this thread are just trying to get business for their own vacation rental, as usual.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
193 reviews
8. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

The reason I posted the question was that I saw so many different prices for just the card. Appearantly some information is not correct anymore and prices changed several times over the years.

So, we bought a card from a machine at the station. Payed $ 2 for the card, and put small amounts on it, every day. Easy to do at the same machines. The last trip we made we knew we would not have enough credit on the card. When we arrived at the destination we went to the gate and it showed that we had $ 2 short. We went to the machine that is in the area and payed the extra $ 2 (cash only)

In this way we ended our trip with zero money on the card. We keep the cards, as they told us that they will not expire. For our next trip or for friends who will visit DC.

We stayed in the Hampton Inn in Churchs Falls. It has a free shutlle to and from the metro station. Sure you are in the metro a bit longer, but not that much. Staying in the city would have cost us at least double the price for the same luxury, also with airbnb. Besides, if your sleeping location in DC is not next to a metro station, you still have to walk a lot. Stations in DC are far apart. it is not like New York, London or Paris.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
121 reviews
9. Re: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets

Glad it all worked out for you, Rudolf!

Reply to: Metro to/from DC from Falls Church; what kind of tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted