We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liason Hotel to the White House

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Liason Hotel to the White House

We have a White House tour for 8:30AM on Saturday, Oct 6, 2018.

We are staying at the Liason at 415 New Jersey Ave NW.

While I feel I am pretty good at planning trips, transportation in a city I have never been to gives me anxiety.

What is the best way to get to the White House visitor's center from my hotel so that I am there for the tour by 8:15AM?

I realize there are buses, and bus stops all over the place.

My anxiety is from not knowing which bus to get on, what pass I should have or just have cash, when to get off, and how long the ride will be.

Thanks in advance all!

9 replies to this topic
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

You can learn all about transportation on wmata.com.

Google Maps show your hotel is 1.6 miles from the White House. You could walk it in about 30 min.

If you don't want to walk, at that time of day, when you can't take a chance on being late, I would simply take a taxi/Lyft/Uber.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

Thanks, that was my thinking.

What's the Lyft reputation like in DC?

I've used Uber / Lyft a few times in other cities. Some nightmare-ish, some pleasant.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,240 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

The tours of the White House do not start at the White House Visitor Center. You enter a block or so away off 15th Street NW just south of the Treasury Building. As for getting there, take a taxi. It will cost less than $20. Door-to-gate service.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

What about the train from Union Station to the Metro Center? That'd take almost no time, cost 2 bucks per person, and put us within 3 or 4 blocks from the WH.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

For Metro just you're the same distance to Judiciary Square which is one stop closer to metro center. The system opens at 7 if you want to be as early as possible and just get some starbucks close-by.

Or from your hotel just walk due west on E Street and you'll eventually walk right up to the entrance for the tours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,240 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

That would save a few blocks of walking, but go to and from the Metro stations is about a third of the distance of just walking all the way. So you have choices. Trains do not operate as often on weekends,so check the timing.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

Yes Metro Center from Judiciary Square or Union Station is a train option: and it has an exit at 13th and G. Your goal is to get to 15th and E. West of G, south on 15th. or south on 13th,west on E.

each block is on average about 1/10 mile,sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. So you would be walking 4 blocks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

Uber/Lyft/cab are all fine for that trip. I would do that, or walk if you're an early riser, for a Saturday morning appointment.

BAC
Level Contributor
465 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Liason Hotel to the White House

Jay

you are a hoot. You answered your own question and display great confidence, no anxiety at all.

Reply to: Liason Hotel to the White House
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted