We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Washington or Dulles?

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Car Hire - Washington or Dulles?

We'll be arriving (& leaving) from Dulles airport , staying at the Westin Embassy Row and then picking up a hire car to drive to Gettysburg on 5 July.

As we're from the UK and I'm a bit nervous about driving I'm looking for advice on the 'easiest' route away from Washington.

So which would be the best - pick up a car local to the hotel or take a taxi to Dulles and pick up a car from there?

If a car local to the hotel any idea which company would be the closest to the hotel?

Thanks

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Car Hire - Washington or Dulles?

Well I wouldn't go all the way back out to Dulles to pick the car up.

Reagan National Airport is much closer and metro accessible and a quick cab ride over. Or there are several car rental agencies throughout DC.

You actually can contact the concierge at your Hotel and they can help you find the nearest rental agency.

-Enterprise has several locations that are within a quick cab ride or metro ride away. www.enterprise.com

Also if price is an issue, I always find that it's cheaper to rent from the airport locations at Reagan National Airport. Specifically Thrifty Rental (www.thrifty.com) and Dollar Rental (www.dollar.com)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Car Hire - Washington or Dulles?

Have used Enterprise before. They will pick you up for free and take you to the rental place to get the car & sign the paperwork. Ditto for the return.

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Car Hire - Washington or Dulles?

Thanks for everyones input.

I'll check out Enterprise as it would be great not to have to carry our suitcases further than we have to!

4. Re: Car Hire - Washington or Dulles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 01, 2009