We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see places

Chandler, Arizona...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must see places

I will be taking my 19 and 21 year old kids to DC for the 1st time end of September. We will be in the city for 3 days what 2 or 3 things should we make absolute sure that we see or do?

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
19 replies to this topic
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see places

Read some guidebooks, then narrow it down from the possible 1000 options to your top 20 and then we can help you. si.edu is for the Smithsonian museums.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see places

Ask your children what they want to see. There is so much you will have to make choices, based on YOUR INTERESTS. Too many museums to hit them all.

Chandler, Arizona...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see places

I realize that there are lots of choices in the city I'm just asking people who have been there what are there 2 or 3 favorite things to do or see in the city. I realized they may be different than what I like but once I have a few ideas than I could investigate further. Thank you for your help

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see places

Our favorite things may be completely irrelevant to your interests. Personally, I like admiring the ceilings at the Library of Congress, viewing the lotuses at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, and browsing the weekend flea market at Eastern Market. I'd plead a headache and stay home rather than tour the Capitol, the White House, or Arlington National Cemetery--yet those are on many, many people's must-see lists.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,256 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see places

Tripadvisor has a list of thinjgs to do. Might make a good starting point for your research.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g289…

Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see places

i take all of my visitors on a monument tour at night.

beyond that i love the museums, walking around 14th/u street and those neighborhoods (i think the view from cardozo hs parking lot is the best in the city), the arboretum (and aquatic gardens as mentioned), eating of some of the new restaurants in town. one of the best things about dc is that there is something to fit your interest, whatever it may be!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,917 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see places

For me Holocaust Museum, Lincoln Memorial.

Maryland
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see places

My favorite hidden gem of DC is Hillwood Museum and Garden:

www.hillwoodmuseum.org

My favorite historic site is the Library of Congress.

Everyone should see the monuments at night.

Southern NJ
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see places

My favorites are the Air and Space Museum, American History Museum, Ford theatre, the National Zoo (free), WWII memorial, and Arlington Cemetery.

Maryland
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see places

I'll add Emmett Till's coffin, the East German pill box at the Newsuem (plus the 9/11 exhibit), the changing of the guard at Arlington, the Star Spangled Banner at American History, the only Davinci on US soil at the NGA, the memorials at night, the shoes at the holocaust, the view from the Old Post Office Tower and a night time view of DC from the Air Force Memorial (plus the Pentagon 9/11 memorial). Plus maybe the greatest indoor space in the US - the reading room at the LOC.

Reply to: Must see places
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted