We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for siteseeing

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
54 reviews
Best place to stay for siteseeing

I am looking for suggestions best place to stay close to metro or conveniently located to attractions

Thanks in advance

8 replies to this topic
Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

"best" place is probably around Metro Center/Freedom Plaza or Penn Qtr or near McPherson Square metro stop.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,259 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

There is no one best place. There are dozens of hotels close to Metro stations. Do some reading on this forum, get some ideas, then ask about specific options. One very well located hotel is the Marriott at Metro Center.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
1 review
3. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

It depends on your budget.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

Our family just spent a week in DC and I just want to assure you of how easy it is to navigate transportation using the Metro. Hotels in the surrounding communities (such as Arlington, Alexandria, Chevy Chase area, etc.) are much better priced if you are on a budget and all are within a 20 minute metro ride into all the touring sites. We stayed at Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavillon. I was worried that it would be too far out but I got a great rate and couldn't pass it up. It worked out great. On the metro website, there is a "Plan My Trip" tab that you can plug in your starting and ending location and it will tell you all the stops, transfers and walking directions to where you want to go. So...after being a tourist, my answer would be to find a hotel in your budget range that is close to a metro stop. Have fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
133 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

Personally I prefer hotels within walking distance to the Mall area. It gives you more flexibility if someone in your party wants to go back to hotel while others continue to tour. You pay a bit more at hotel but you don't have to hassle with public transportation. I go in Dec so hotel rates are typically affordable at that time. I like the 14th street area hotels.

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

We recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on 14th street, which is directly across the street from the McPherson Square metro station. We were able to take the metro from Reagan airport directly to our hotel. The metro station provided quick and easy access to the Mall, the Capitol Building, and Arlington Cemetery.

Also only a 3 block walk to the White House. We walked to the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) museum on the other side of the Ellipse, great displays.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,523 posts
3,417 reviews
7. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

The Metro is key.

Choose a property close to a Metro station

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
306 reviews
8. Re: Best place to stay for siteseeing

Because some of the metro lines are having repairs, I think if you are talking about SOON you want to be within walking distance of the MALL.... we were at the Marriott on Pennsylvania Avenue and loved the location last week....

Reply to: Best place to stay for siteseeing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted