We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in or near Chinatown

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Hotels in or near Chinatown

We attend Police Memorial Week every year and stay at the Red Roof Inn in Chinatown. To make a long story short, we dont have rooms this year.

Are there any other hotels in Chinatown or within walking distance?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

I think everyone has misunderstood the posting. I think that the post meant that at that hotel during that convention that there are several drunk cops acting wild. I don't think it was referring to all cops that visit for that memorial. Drwong help me out here: :-)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

I just wanted to say thanks to the other posters for not judging us!

The comment made me feel as though we were low lives coming into Washington wreaking havoc. I am an attorney and my husband is a police officer so I hope the residents of DC do not think poorly of all the cops who come into their city each year.

We go every year because my husband is a Sgt., and one of "his guys" was killed on duty several years ago. This police officers' name is on the Police Memorial Wall, as well as other friends that gave their lives to protect our city.

I would suggest everyone take the time to visit the Police Memorial Wall while they are in DC. It is worth the trip.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

I actually inadvertently slipped onto the memorial. I got off on the wrong side of the Judiciary Square metro station and came out there and I never even knew it was even there. They could make it look a little better however. It's just the wall with a few benches. They could add some nice trees, or some type of something. And I think that the area where they put it isn't the greatest either.

DC
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

Hiya Ms. Maryland.

They had a few things to work around to make the memorial work. They had to accomodate the two elevators going down to Judicuary Square Metro and also the Escalator.

In addition, I think this is a privately funded memorial so the price of the land was also a factor. You should see in each year during Police Memorial week. It is overrun with floral tributes, pictures, mementos etc. Really makes one teary. Last year someone actually brought a real police door and left it as a memento at the names wall.

Cheers,

Dev

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

The Vietnam Vet Memorial is "just a wall" with no benches. :~)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,156 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

"The Vietnam Vet Memorial is "just a wall" with no benches. :~)"

It's almost hard to remember the controversy when the design was first announced..."a black wall of shame" "it's a pit, not a monument..."

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

The "Just a Wall" statement was intended to say that the organizers didn't plan very well in it's location. Vietnam Memorial is located centrally with other tourist attractions and this memorial has nothing around it or near it. I think that wasn't planned properly. I didn't mean to call it "Just a wall" in comparison to the Vietnam Memorial. Sorry for the "confusion"

18. Re: Hotels in or near Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 30, 2009