We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

Stayed at the Hotel Madera right off DuPont Circle. This was a great choice for us. My wife and I took our 12 year old daughter for a tour of the city during her spring break. DuPont Circle was vibrant and exciting. There were a ton of restaurants on Connecticut; we had no problem finding good places to eat.

Hotel Madera: Had a room on the third floor. Two queen size beds were perfect for us. The tub and toilet area were small but the oversize granite sink area provided plenty of room for everyone’s stuff. We left the room everyday by 9 and didn’t return until about 5. Took naps and cleaned up before going out.

The folks at the Hotel Madera were very helpful. They did very quickly learn who you were and greeted us on coming and going. There was street noise but the hotel is in an active area and the ambulances/firetrucks go up New Hampshire frequently. This is like any other big city and we got used to it. The hotel served wine at 5 which was just as I was coming in from walking all day and it hit the spot.

We would definitely stay at the Hotel Madera again. Great location; good rooms; great staff.

DuPont Circle: Great location! We took the Metro (one block from the hotel) every morning to the attractions. The neighborhood has a lot of life. There were shops, restaurants and people everywhere. The weather was beautiful and everyone was out enjoying it. There was a 24 hour CVS drug store nearby; two book stores; a little grocery store and many shops and restaurants. I enjoyed the street musicians. There was a group of about 10 guys with horns and drums that really got going. There were about 100 people watching the show and tipping the guys.

Restaurants: We pretty much stayed in the DuPont Circle area because we were tired from so much walking during the day. We ate at Sala Thai – a chain but pretty good and very reasonable. Did Ruth’s Chris Steak house which was good as well. Tried to go to Al Tiramisou but couldn’t get in; went to the Odean on Connecticut instead and had a good meal. The restaurant opens its (huge) front doors during nice weather so the whole restaurant feels open. The meal was very good and reasonably priced. Last night there, we went to Tomatae. The weather was perfect so we ate outside. It was great watching the crowds and the food was very good. We also had lunch in Georgetown one day which was very good as well. Other than that, we ate hot dogs in the Mall for lunch which were acceptable. There was a Ben & Jerry’s right off the Metro station at DuPont Circle and we hit that every night for dessert.

Tours: I have been to DC many times before on business and would always walk everywhere. I think this is the best way to see the city and so we were on foot most of the time. The favorite museums were the Air and Space (with the smattering of things from the American History Museum); the Natural History Museum and the West Art Museum. We went through the Holocaust Museum which is very somber as one might expect. We went through all the memorials on the Mall, walked around the Capitol and the White House.

We walked down M street to Georgetown and back by way of Wisconsin and P street. Beautiful architecture. We missed the excitement of the Georgetown final four which had a ton of students out in the street.

Impressions: I haven’t been to DC since 2000 and much has changed. There is so much more security now. There were military helicopters doing routine circuits over the city. Every museum had elaborate security procedures- though we were able to get in with back pack and camera. We just opened the bags at the door and let the guards have a look. We couldn’t go up the Capitol steps which used to provide a great view of the Mall. Saw VP Cheney go by with a big motorcade including a couple of SUVs with guys with big automatic weapons pointed out at the folks on the street (me!) that was a bit unnerving.

I loved the city and loved the trip. Washington is still one of the best US destinations in my mind. My twelve year old loved it too. The cherry blossoms were just starting to peek out but there were a number of other flowering trees and bushes to look at.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

It sounds like you all had a great time! Thanks for sharing. Yes--security is tighter these days...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

Thanks for your review. It sounds like staying in Dupont Circle really gave you a feel for the city =)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

Nice report, Dad, thanks for posting. I often forget about the Madera for some reason. Did you post your review in the Hotels section? Please do that if you haven't because I think others will find it very informative. If you don't mind sharing, what rate did you pay? Also, just one clarification - I think you mean the West Wing of the National Gallery of Art, not the West Art Museum, right? Just don't want anyone looking around for the wrong museum.

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

I did mean the West Wing of the National Art Museum.... I did try to post the review for Hotel Madera to the site but had trouble with it wanting me to identify key words and not letting me submit. I will try again--

I paid $269/night for the hotel. For the dates we wanted, it came up this price or slightly higher on all the search sites.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

Thanks for your helpful post. I am taking my 12 year old grandaughter there soon. Can you tell me what were your daughters favorite things from a kids perspective? What did you do in the evenings?

DC
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

Hiya Pops,

I always tell people if they can swing it, Dupont is the best area to stay while in DC. Not only are you close to the subway, but there is a very vibrant street scene well into the night. I might be a bit biased because I live just a couple of blocks from your hotel. No shortage of restaurants in that area, so grabbing a bite after a long day tourisitng is really easy. Sala Thai is pretty good. They make a decent pad thai.

Aren't those guys with the hornes and drums great?!? Everytime I run across them at Dupont I always hang around awhile. They always draw a crowd.

Thanks for posting on my neighborhood.

Cheers,

Dev

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

Hi Vail Realtor - Her favorite things were the exhibition of items from the American History Museum (temporarily located in the Air and Space Museum), the Natural History Museum, and the Metro. She loved riding the subway. We walked a ton every day so that when we returned to the hotel, everyone took a nap and then went out for dinner. By the time we finished dinner, it was 9 or so and after stopping at the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Store, we watched in-room movies or read before sleeping. There was movie theatre near the hotel too. Really everyone was pretty tired by the end of the day since we were so active. I really recommend DuPont Circle for the location.

Dev, the guys with the horns were fun to watch. The neighborhood is great and the restaurants were plentiful and good. A very fun neighborhood.

8. Re: Trip Report - March 24 - 28, 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, August 29, 2009