We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
264 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Hi all

My husband and DS have scored last minute tix to the Wizards tomorrow evening, I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions of something that perhaps DD5 and I could do while they are there. I just thought there might be something on, or an activity we could do together that would be some fun? I’ve done some googling but not having a lot of luck.

Thanks in advance.

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
11 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Your daughter is too young for any of the live performances going on in D.C. right now. (Even the opera of "The Little Prince" at the Kennedy Center has a recommended minimum age of 6 years old.)

Therefore, you might want to go see the new animated movie, "Ferdinand". I don't know if this is a classic book in Australia, but it is a classic picture book here in the U.S. It's the story of a Spanish fighting bull that prefers to smell flowers. The reviews have been so-so, but if you want to go out with a 5-year-old while your husband is at the Wizards game, this might be the best you can do. It's playing everywhere, so you should be able to find a theatre near you where it is showing.

Aldie, Virginia
Level Contributor
265 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

There's a paint-your-own pottery studio in Cleveland Park. http://www.allfiredupdc.com/

"All ages are welcome in our studios. Putting children's hand prints on pottery is always popular for the younger ages. We also have small animal figurines and cute little boxes, kids love to paint."

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Don't know what DD or DD5 even means - but I'm guess a 5 year old? Really depends on where you are staying, how far you want to travel and her bedtime. What else are you doing with the family? The American Art Museum is open until 7 and is great for kids. Or go to the Downtown Holiday market - open until 8. Go see the National Christmas tree on the Elipse. Or go ice skating at the sculpture garden. https://www.nga.gov/visit/ice-rink.html

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,294 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

It's OK. Everyone else on the Internet knows it means Dear Daughter and her age.

US
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Does your hotel have a pool? That plus dinner out is my vote.

Fwiw, the websites I visit would have dd5 mean their 5th daughter, not their 5yo daughter.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

It took me a while to learn DD and DS. I would recommend a walk to all of the Christmas tree. Union station, the Capitol, the White House and many down town spots have great tree. There is also a train set in union station. A visit to Santa at Pentagon city may also be a good activity. There is a Dave and Busters in Silver Spring which is an arcade

Edited: 9:08 pm, December 14, 2017
US
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Paint your own pottery is fun but you have to retrieve it a week later. Not an easy proposition if traveling. Shipping is probably available but likely not cheap.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Update on “Ferdinand”—the film critic for the Washington Post gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars. Here’s the review from today’s Weekend section of the Post:

https:/…

Edited: 8:31 am, December 15, 2017
Maryland
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Zoolights

Also,there is a movie theater right next to where the Wizard's play.

Edited: 8:50 am, December 15, 2017
DC
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mum and young daughter - good activity?

Zoolights could pair up well with All Fired Up.

Reply to: Mum and young daughter - good activity?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted