We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rentals for 6 months

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
982 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Rentals for 6 months

I was just wanting to get some suggestions for websites I could find apartment rentals for a stay of six months? I am happy with a studio or 1 bedroom apartment within a reasonable commute of the Dupont Circle area. Thanks :)

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
14 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Many building offer 6 month leases. The Promenade in Adams Morgan is very walkable and has short leases. I do not know you budget but they have studios and one bedrooms with excellent views of the Capitol and monument.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
982 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Thanks. Is that something that we'd be able to arrange before arrival or will we need to book in person?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,236 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rentals for 6 months

I don’t know, but check the Yelp reviews.

https:/…promenade-apartments-washington

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
982 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Oh wow. Other recommendations welcome then. Our max budget is $2000/month but less than this would be better

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Depending on what time of year, (probably not mid-March through July) you will find 6 month furnished rentals on Homeaway.com, Airbnb, Padmappers or Hotpads. You might also find some on Craigslist "sublet and temp." but that takes a lot of caution. You can also post your own ad on CL under "housing wanted."

Be comprehensive about yourselves and what you are looking for. Lots of Short Term rental landlords, myself included prefer to skip the whole showing/vetting process if we can, and are happy to find a good potential renter in the housing wanted section.

DC is a small city and most neighborhoods are an easy commute to Dupont Circle. Look at Columbia Heights, U St. Woodley Park, Foggy Bottom. Good luck.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Have you checked apartments.com? It tends to be larger buildings, but they have some individual units. Because of the way DC rental rules work, often landlords only know a unit will be free 30 days prior. So there will be limits on what you can search for that far out. You can also check the apartment listings on craigslist.com, but there can be scams and I'd be reluctant to book from afar. One other consideration is that most apartments tend to be unfurnished. Unless you want to buy lots of furniture, that could make it it challenging. If you have no luck from Australia, you might consider booking your first week in an extended stay / suite style hotel, and trying to secure a place upon your arrival that is immediately available. This will likely leave you with units others don't want, e.g. due to price, but for $2000 for a studio you might find some success.

Edit: also, see Victoria's post above. She's our resident expert on vacation rentals and has given you good advice.

Edited: 9:32 am, December 12, 2017
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Ditto what Warthog said - 99% of places will be unfurnished, unless you find a sublet on Craigslist. I always find my apartments on there, but I can see how the owner might be uncomfortable to rent a furnished apartment with all their furniture to someone without meeting them face to face. Therefore getting Airbnb/apartment rental lined up for a week works better, and then you can go visit apartments in person. Good luck!

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Also, since Airbnb has flooded the market (there are over 6000 units listed for DC) many owners are happy to rent for longer terms. Do be aware that most condos and rental apts. do not allow Airbnb rentals, so be absolutely sure you are renting only from an owner of the entire property, or with written permission from their condo board.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rentals for 6 months

You should have no problem finding a studio below 2000 though as others said it will be unfurnished. Pretty much any studio is below that thigh I personally would avoid craigslist unless you are able to have you or someone you trust look at the place first. In addition to scams, Craigslist has the disadvantage of not really being reviewable in any way. The owners take the pictures, describe the place and post and it is hard to verify the accuracy of any of it because there wouldmlikely be very little On YElP or other review sites for the particular unit that you are searching. At least with apartments and large companies, you have the advantage of reviews.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rentals for 6 months

Might want to check with The Phoenix with DARO management. Its off Thomas Circle and definitely walkable to Dupont. Not sure if they do 6 month leases though. I used to live there and its rent controlled. Its an older building but studios are well below $2000. You'll be hard pressed to find cheaper in the area and the staff is friendly. It is unfurnished - but in DC you should be able to find a bed and a few things easily on craigslist for short term use. Its a very transient city and so people are getting rid of things all the time.

Reply to: Rentals for 6 months
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted