We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

Grass Valley, Oregon
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

First time in DC and the morning after we arrive we have an 8:30 White House tour. We won't have our bearings yet. We will leave the house in the morning and walk a few blocks to the metro, get off near White House then walk to White House. So my questions are is there a metro stop near the White House and how much time do you think we should allow? Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

Look at wmata.com - trip planner.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

The closest Metro station to the White House is McPherson Square, and it's on the Silver Line, which also serves the Tysons Corner area. The trip would be about 35 minutes, but you'll need to factor in time for walking from the station, etc. I'd give it no less than an hour and, since I'm overly cautious, would probably factor in additional time.

Edited: 8:08 am, November 21, 2017
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

There are 5000 Vacation rental apts. in the DC area - on Homeaway.com, Homeescape.com and Airbnb - why are you staying way out at Tyson's Corner?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

I would go to the station 2 hours early. I would stop off at a Starbucks on G Street and use the toilet there and maybe get a water or coffee before the tour to while away the time. Remember you cannot bring much on the tour with you.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

Also, as I hope you know - you can't bring anything with you for your White House visit except your wallet and cell phone. That might be enough for your whole day, but maybe not. Tysons is not a great place to stay unless you are staying for free.

Grass Valley, Oregon
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

One block from metro and I got it REALLY cheap and the bed was a CA King, my husband is 6'5". Our trip is actually to NYC so we decided to fly directly to DC from the West Coast for a few days then take the train to NYC. I hope thats not a dumb idea too!

Grass Valley, Oregon
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

OK. I'll get up at 6:00 and leave the house by 6:30, get off at McPherson Sq. and just take our phones in our pockets and I'll look for a wallet to bring. And thanks for the toilet advice!!!

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

Any stay in DC is a great idea. All the museums and art galleries are free, and there is plenty of world class dining. Too bad you're not actually staying in the city, but if you are paying less than $100.00 per night to stay way out in Tysons, you have a good deal.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

A wallet and a cellphone is about all your really need, anyway, except for your clothing (jackets, etc). You could actually have a nylon foldable tote bag easily in a pocket that you could then use for the rest of the day (say to carry a bottle of water, etc). It's "things" that are hard/sharp that are not allowed, doesn't say anything about a plastic bag, for example, not being allowed. I'm talking very thin nylon, not the rigid stuff, I buy some in grocery stores in Europe that fold up into a small square.

something like this

https:/…

You are allowed an umbrella also, actually.

Edited: 3:06 pm, November 21, 2017
Grass Valley, Oregon
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House

$50

Reply to: AirBNB near Tyson Corner TO White House
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted