We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

We're bringing our kids (daughter 7, son 12) to DC for their first visit over Memorial Weekend. It is our daughter's birthday, and our highest priority is the National Zoo. Second-day will be spent downtown seeing the sights (White House/ Capitol/ Monuments).

Where should we stay? I'm looking for a kid-friendly Hotel that won't cost me a fortune. A swimming pool is a very high priority. Are there any hotels that meet our criteria that are near the National Zoo? If not, should we stay at a Hotel that is close to the Metro?

I've searched this site several times, and didn't get a real good sense of where any kid-friendly hotels are located. So, I'll take all of the advice I can get.

Thanks

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

The Omni Shoreham is near the zoo. It fits all of your needs as well. And it's a pretty nice place. It is close to a metro.

Most of the hotels in DC and Northern VA will be near a metro somehow either by walking a few blocks or your hotel will provide a shuttle. DC wouldn't function if the hotels weren't near a metro. I think our city would shut down if metro ceased to exist.

Other suggestions:

-Embassy Suites (22nd Street and Convention Center)

-Doubletree Suites

-Holiday Inn (On the Hill and Capitol Hill locations)

This is a start for you. Try them with your dates and see if they are in your budget. DC hotels can be quite expensive and especially since you are coming during a holiday weekend.

The zoo is metro accessible so don't be so set on staying out there when it is further away from the other main attractions that you want to see. It's only a few metro stops away from the Main Tourist sites that you have pointed out.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

Thanks Mrs. Maryland!

I looked at the Holiday Inn on the Hill, and it looked good. I also found "The Washington Plaza" which is at Thomas Circle and looks to have a very nice pool. Do you know anything about the Washington Plaza?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

I wouldn't stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel. I have never stayed there but just looking at it it's not that appealing. Check out the reviews on this site and also the Candid Travelers Photos.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

What's your budget? If it's within your budget, I think the Omni Shoreham would be a good choice since you are planning to spend a full day at the zoo. It's easy walking distance to the zoo and there are some family-friendly dining options around. It's also close to metro to visit other sites on your second day.

There's also the Marriott Wardman Park at Woodley Park. That tends to be a bit more expensive, though.

Otherwise, Embassy Suites tend to be rated as very family-friendly. The one on 22nd Street would be convenient for you since it's only 2 metro stops from the zoo if you pick it up at Dupont Circle, but it is a bit of a walk to the metro.

As MrsMaryland said, you can really stay anywhere near a metro. Just be advised that if you take metro to the zoo, get off at Cleveland Park. You can walk from Woodley Park if you're staying there, but by metro, it's easier to go to Cleveland Park and walk because it's a straight walk, rather than the uphill walk from Woodley Park. The zoo is on a long hill so just be prepared - once you go down, you have to go up again!

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

Thanks!

Since this is a "weekend-birthday getaway" and not our official family vacation, the budget is pretty tight. We live about 3 1/2 hours from DC, so I thought a trip to see the sights (especially the zoo) would be an inexpensive treat for my daughter's 7th birthday. Last year, we took her brother to Disney World for his birthday, so we MUST do something fun for her... just not very expensive.

In other words, budget is VERY important.

Truthfully, I would like to pay less than $100 per night, but I don't think I'd like to see what I would get for that amount in the city.

So, a realistic budget for the Hotel would be $100 - $130 per night. As I said in the post above, a pool is a very high priority for this trip.

I appreciate your help!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

I did a quick search on hotels.com and did see a few ideas for you... as always, read the reviews to see if these might work for your family...

Latham Hotel (has a rooftop pool) in Georgetown at $129/night. You'll go over your budget with parking and taxes, though and it's a bit far from metro (several blocks), but you could take the DC Circulator bus also.

Courtyard by Marriott in Rosslyn (Arlington, VA) at $129/night hs a pool. The taxes will be slightly less and the parking may be too. Close to Rosslyn metro for easy access into the city.

Also, I'd assume most pools would be open Memorial Day weekend, but you may want to call to be sure before booking.

7. Re: Help: Kid-Friendly Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 28, 2009