We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

Auckland
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

Hi, We are mature travellers who will be arriving into Dulles at 8:30pm after 20 hours plus travelling and are wondering what is the fastest & simplest way to get to our accommodation. Not sure if we will cope with a shuttle, are there any transfer services that don't cost a ridiculous amount who will wait with a sign at arrivals and take you directly to your accommodation?

We only have 2 days in DC so want to make the most of our time.

I have got so much help reading through the forum over the weekend but haven't seen any info on this. Thanks for you help

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
17 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

Walk out to the terminal curb and jump into a waiting taxi. It will run you about $60 plus tip and you'll be checked in and under the sheets in less than an hour. Couldn't be easier. Really.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,884 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

I agree with Tubman—just take one of the waiting taxis. Even if the fare is a tad higher (say $65 plus tip), it will be money well spent after such a long flight. The other options, public transportation or shared shuttle, will be cheaper but could take you up to 2 hours for you to get to your hotel. A car service (driver with a sign waiting for you) will be no faster than a taxi and cost you significantly more.

Edited: 8:54 am, November 20, 2017
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

To let you know; once you get to the Baggage Carousels or through Customs, it's a 3-minute walk to the taxis. This is a relatively small airport (for being a major international airport). So everything after getting to your luggage and the main terminal is equally simple; a person with a sign is no easier than following an overhead sign for taxicabs out the door right in front of you. Then you get in the next one after maybe a short line, and off you go. It's a 30 mile trip that could take 40 minutes in the late evening. It's the easiest thing in the world.

Auckland
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

Thank you, it's sounds straight forward to get a taxi.

If we were to go for a car service which one would you recommend ?

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

I am not sure why everyone suggested a taxi instead of Uber. Uber is usually about half the price and offers the same service. I live near Dupont and frequently fly in and out of Dulles. Every time I go I use Uber. Just order one via the app, they show up, door to door service at a lower price.

california
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

Thank you....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

For your time frame take a taxi.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

Well, someone from Auckkand may not have a working cell phone on arrival or an app. And someone who hasn't used Uber may not know how to determine if he is getting into a legitimate car.

How much does Uber cost from Dulles to DuPont Circle? Did you download your app in Bosnia?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,301 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

The OP posted almost 3 months ago and hasn’t been back since. I wouldn’t worry too much about it one way or the other.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area

I was in Auckland three weeks ago. Uber is prolific there, it is likely they have the app. I actually used it a couple times while in Auckland. If they do not, it can be easily downloaded. Additionally, Dulles has free WiFi, so if they have any kind of smartphone (or computer or tablet) they can access the Uber app whether or not they have cell service. The trip is approximately $45-$50 via Uber, depending on traffic. Less if you take Uber pool, which can be used for 1-2 people. A taxi is usually about $80 from Dulles to Dupont.

I don’t think it matters where I downloaded the Uber app. However, no, I downloaded it in DC where I live. Trip Advisor says I live in Bosnia because that’s where I established my account, but I was only visiting (I’m not sure how to change it). As you can guess from my very Irish/American name, I’m not from Bosnia (though I do recommend the country if you ever have the opportunity). Though, as I said, I don’t see how this matters?

Edited: 1:00 am, February 10, 2018
Reply to: Transport from Dulles Airport to DuPont Circle area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted