We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Dining

We are arriving in DC for our very first time on April 1st until April 6, driving from Chicago. With us will be our 15 year old nephew and our 20 month old. We are staying The Embassy Suites. I have been doing research on the internet for our dining. I was curious if anyone out there can suggest some great dining choices. We are thinking of more lunch and dinner since our hotel offers free breakfast. When searching the internet it is very overwhelming. We like all kinds of food and are willing to pay a good price as long as the food is good. We love sushi places, seafood, tapas. Also, we would need something that is somewhat kid friendly. although our 20 month old has been going out to dinner with us for some time and is very well behaved. Also, thinking of one night husband and I going out possibly for drinks, somewhere close by. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dining

You've gotten a ton of great advice so far -- I wouldn't take issue with any of it. As you mentioned sushi first for places you'd like to eat, I'll mention that what I think is the best (and most authentic) D.C. in the city is about a 15 or 20 minute walk (or short cab ride) from your hotel, at 17th and P. The place is called Sushi Taro (www.sushitaro.com). It is nice without being too fancy, and not too expensive for what you get. I'd recommend reservations.

As for your question of the Memorials during the day or night, my honest answer is that both are great, but that it may vary by the memorial. Lincoln, Washington and Jefferson are all great day or night. I think Washington leans towards being more impressive at night. FDR and and WWII have water themes that I (personally) think work a LOT better at night. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say that the FDR memorial at night is my favorite in D.C., because it is usually less crowded and is incredibly tranquil with the flowing water towards the end of the Memorial. I've only been to the Korean War and Vietnam Veterans memorials during the day, so I can't really compare them. Note that none of these memorials are particularly easy to get to from Metro stations -- you'll want to either drive, take a cab to a central point, or pack your walking shoes. There is usually available (and basically safe) on-street parking at night near the FDR memorial along the river, and also along Constitution Ave. near the Vietnam Veterans / Lincoln / Korean War memorials. The other monuments are harder to park close to.

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Dining

I was checking the weather as far out as I could go and it looks like cooler temperatures and rain for the 1st week of April...Does that sound correct?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dining

Sounds right but as always with long term forecasts, they are subject to change. Spring around here tends to be on the rainy side so bring an umbrella.

washington dc
Level Contributor
249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dining

http://cityguide.aol.com/washington/best

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dining

Warthog: Good call on Sushi Taro. I like their sushi too.

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Dining

Mei Wah is a very good chinese food restaurant located within walking distance from the Embassy Suites on 22nd Street. I have eaten here many times and I believe it's located at the corner of New Hampshire and M Street between 21st Street and 22nd Street.

Hope this helps!

17. Re: Dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, August 29, 2009