We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
278 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

Hey guys

Visiting Washington dc in november for 4 nights and this place have a nice offer and looks very nice...

anyone have any advise should i book ?

What if its not ready on time and i have a booking ? Will i have to search last munite for another hotel ?

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
10 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,175 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

That area would not be my first choice as a place to stay. But when The Wharf opens next month it is going to be a BIG CHANGE for the SW quadrant. If you are getting a very good rate, you might want to try it. But others places in DC are more convenient.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
278 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

Do u mean its not a safe area?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,205 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

The new Hyatt House is taking reservations starting October 9th.

So check back then to see if it opens on time. Sometimes they have delays.

I'm not a fan of staying in brand new hotels. I like things to get settled for a bit. But Im guessing you have a low rate to reflect that there may be some issues during your stay.

I wouldn't worry about any specific safety issues st The Wharf, but some of the restaurants will likely not be open yet.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

Not "not safe" - just lots of construction still going on, and still a bit of an isolated location as far as nearby restaurants, bars, neighborhood feel etc. If you just want to go see tourist things then come back and sleep, you will be fine. If you want to experience more of the real city, this is not the place to be.

Springfield
Level Contributor
346 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

Maine Avenue is by the water next to the Washington Channel. I assume the new Hyatt House is in that area which is currently being revitalized.

There are several apartment buildings and town houses. Some of the town houses run close to a million dollars. A supermarket, Safeway has a presence. The Maine Avenue fishmarket is a lot of fun. Delicious cooked sea foods and fresh fish, shrimps, and crabs for sale. You can buy cooked or uncooked crabs by the bushel.

Government offices are staggered here and there. A military campus, Ft. McNair is an easy walk.

In the day time, the area is safe. But, I have never walked there at night.

You can walk to the Smithsonian museums from the Hyatt House.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,205 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

I think by November it will be exactly where people from the "real city" will want to be. Including the 5 residential buildings where a couple thousand people will be living in the " real city". And the almost 2-dozen restaurants (once they all open) will make the place a desk.

Also, the 7,000 seat music venue won't hurt.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,205 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

I'm not sure everyone is familiar with the project opening in 3 weeks.

For the benefit of visitors or maybe some locals who haven't been in the area, here's info on The Wharf project:

Any current thoughts of safety or "theres nothing there" or "I wouldn't walk there at night" are about to become very dated.

https://www.wharfdc.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,175 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

But no matter how wonderful the new places are, they still aren't as convenient as other parts of the city like Pann Quarter or downtown. That's my point.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

The Wharf is doing a major kickoff event the weekend of Oct. 12 through 15, with music, food, shopping and fireworks. Anthem, the new 6,000 seat music venue in the Wharf, is kicking off with an opening show by Foo Fighters on 10/12, and has 10 or 11 more acts scheduled through the rest of October. If the project is going to have a general launch delay, well then it's going to be a fail on par with Baha Mar down in the Bahamas.

By November, I'd be shocked if the Hyatt House isn't "open." But they could well still be ironing out the bugs, with construction crews doing punch-list work, etc. I've stayed in hotels within their first month of being open, and usually get a nice clean new property but with service that is spotty and occasional amenities that aren't working yet. So as others say, if the rate is good, I wouldn't be afraid of trying it. And the Wharf itself looks like it's going to be really cool, so maybe you'll be among the first to experience something special.

Springfield
Level Contributor
346 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help

IrishFan, no one has mentioned, "I wouldn't walk there at night."

Reply to: Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted