We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC not nightlife

4 posts
Save Topic
Washington DC not nightlife

Right so basically there is myself and 16 others travelling to Washington DC for 8 days on a football/soccer tour and being British lads we live for a good night on the town, what are the best places to go for things such as clubs and bars, and staying out till early hours of the morning, any help would be much appreciated or any events going on over the next 2 weeks

11 replies to this topic
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

Depends on the atmosphere you like but some popular nightlife districts are:

Dupont Circle

Adams-Morgan

U Street, particularly between 16th and 9th

Those three are all pretty close to one another.

Also:

H Street NE (generally more divey/hipstery)

Georgetown (students and preps)

Clarendon (in nearby Northern VA)

A lot of EDM/Hip Hop focused dance clubs are scattered around the NE quadrant like EchoStage.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

Thank you very much, much appreciated. What are the names of places such more popular bars or nightclubs just so I can have a google of them

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

What sort of club? Are you looking to dance? Do you want a dive? Hip Hop? EDM? Rock and Roll?

https://brightestyoungthings.com/ - local blog with weekend guides

EchoStage hosts a lot of bands/djs and bliss nightclub is next door. Or U Street Music Hall. Park on 14th (that's the name of the club), Penn Social, etc. Past that my personal knowledge gets spotty.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

Erm tbh anything but many I'd say for the others going it would have do be dance, erm, or like house or techno music

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

People do not hang out in Clarendon. It's a suburb. I live in DC so know better!

Adams Morgan is the most happening place for younger people. Mostly college aged. Then I would say U Street. Adams Morgan, you can just go anywhere and find a fun time. Seriously, it's a street full of bars and people drinking.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

"erm"

is this a type of music?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

Go to Clarendon tonight or tomorrow night. You'll see thousands of people migrating between the various bars that line Wilson and Clarendon Boulevards. Other than issues of taste I don't really see the difference between it and Adams-Morgan.

Anyway, I don't listen to EDM (electronic dance music which is what was probably meant for VJB's benefit) so unfortunately I can't do anymore than what I've said.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

What area are you staying as well?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,304 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

"Anyway, I don't listen to EDM (electronic dance music which is what was probably meant for VJB's benefit) "

Lol. No, "Erm" and EDM are definitely two different things.

"Erm is U.K. speak. "Erm...do you suppose you could stop stepping on my feet?" "I can't stay out tonight, erm, I promised my Dad I'd be home early".

Kind of like Americans with their "I , like, want to stay out, but my Dad, he's like no, be home by ten"

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington DC not nightlife

I don't think it's an issue of taste. I would never recommend that young tourists go to the suburbs to hang out for a good time. It's similar to me asking for a good time in London and being advised to go to a town on the outskirts. Nothing personal, I just know it's more professionals/people with families who live in Virginia. Not young people looking for fun.

Edited: 5:24 pm, September 23, 2017
Reply to: Washington DC not nightlife
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted