We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
95 posts
63 reviews
1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Hi All,

My husband, 14 month old baby and I are travelling to Washington DC in December for the first time. We are Australians and are hoping to see the major sights and museums.....possibly at a more leisurely pace than our previous holidays as it will be our first BIG overseas trip with our baby. I have a number of things I am undecided on (despite lots of research):

1) In which area/hotel do you recommend we stay in? Taking into account that we are there to sightsee, don't want to walk overly far due to it being winter and as we'll have our baby with us. We are also hoping to stay in suite style accommodation (with separate bedroom/living areas). Our budget is a max of $300 per night.

2) If we don't stay in a hotel with self laundry facilities, are public laundromats easy to find?

3) We are currently undecided between a 3 night stay and a 4 night stay? What would you suggest for first timers? We are interested in seeing the major sights but as we are not American ourselves, we do not have a huge interest in American history.

4) Any extra tips for travelling with a baby in Washington DC?

I thought I had decided on a hotel (Kimpton Donovan), but after having another look, I'm not sure if its best for us due to lack of laundry facilities and location. Another thing to add is that we will be arriving by train from New York City - I'm not sure if this changes accommodation recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

11 replies to this topic
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
95 posts
63 reviews
11. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

One extra thing to add - bring your own cot/crib if you can. I read reviews prior to staying and one negative that appeared frequently is that their charge to provide a crib is really high. We brought our own and were not charged to do this :)

Reply to: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted