We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for the zoo

Charleston, South...
1 post
Parking for the zoo

So I know you can park in the zoo parking lot for $22, but that's seems excessive to just be there for a couple of hours. Where's the cheapest and best place to park around the zoo on a Sunday?

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Parking for the zoo

The National Zoo has free admission. Most other zoos or attractions charge $10.00 per person. Think for a few seconds about the cost of feeding thousands of animals and maintaining all the necessary facilities for visitors. (Not to mention supporting all the research facilities,) Do you seriously think that $22.00 for unlimited number of people visiting for unlimited hours is "excessive?"

So to answer your question - the cheapest and best place to park is in your own driveway in your own town where there is no amazing zoo and you can just sit on your couch and watch "Animal Planet."

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,258 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Parking for the zoo

Victoria is a bit harsh, but she does have a point. It is possible to find street parking, though it will probably be time limiter, and maybe metered. If you don't have to drive as the zoo is well served by Metro and a bus route.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Parking for the zoo

My family and I just visited D.C. and we're not impressed, at all, with the National Zoo. Smelled weed everywhere and the exhibits were not well-maintained.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Parking for the zoo

I don't think that's harsh at all for a place with free entry, but I think the estimates of zoo tickets elsewhere is very understated. I think paying only $22 for an entire family for a day is a bargain. I think it is churlish for anyone to complain about the parking fees.

The San Diego zoo charges $52 for an adult and $42 for a child, for example. the Toledo Zoo, certainly a minor one, charges $19 per adult and $16 for child. The Columbus Zoo charges $32 for one adult ticket and $25 for a child.

If one is insistent on geting free parking and not contributing to the zoo, you can drive around the neighborhoods nearby and try to take over residential parking spaces, which are very hard to get, and see how much time you waste doing that and how far you may have to walk.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
276 reviews
5. Re: Parking for the zoo

There is cheaper street parking which is free on Sundays. It will be parallel and you may have to drive around for it through the side streets near the zoo. The zoo is also very accessible from the metro at Cleveland park (downhill) or woodley park ( uphill). If you have a hotel where you are already paying to park your car, the best is to take metro. Another alternative is uber which from down town should run you about 7 each way or 2.50 in an uber pool ( only works for up to two people)

6. Re: Parking for the zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, May 28, 2017
Edited: 3:35 pm, May 28, 2017
7. Re: Parking for the zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 30, 2018