We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight metro parking

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
overnight metro parking

Can I park overnight in a metro garage? I was going to use Shady Grove. I was going to park starting on a Sunday and leave Monday afternoon, how will I be charged? I don't remember getting a ticket on weekends.

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
22 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight metro parking

Overnight parking is not allowed at the Shady Grove Metro parking lot.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight metro parking

There are parking garages where you can park overnight for not that much in that area. Just check COlonial's website, they have one right across the street from Rockville metro station that is open 24/7 and costs $12 per day.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight metro parking

WRONG!!!! The Metro rule is that you can't be parked in the same space for more than 24 hours. This effectively means that when they check you cannot be in the same space two overnights in a row.

They check and give tickets Tuesday night (Wed early morning), Wednesday night, Thursday night, and Friday night. If you park your car for as long as Thursday morning to Monday evening, you will not get a ticket.

Every person I know who has left their car for many days over a weekend and more has always gotten a ticket on Tuesday night. They record license plates Monday overnight, but can't give a ticket until Tuesday overnight.

Don't worry at all.

Edited: 11:41 am, March 20, 2017
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight metro parking

If fact, I was slightly inaccurate: I meant Friday morning to Tuesday before midnight is the longest period one can park there and not get a ticket. Sunday to Monday is not a problem.

Edited: 11:42 am, March 20, 2017
Gaithersburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight metro parking

So if I enter Shady Grove Metro parking lot Tuesday morning and leave Wednesday around 6 pm, I should be fine?

Rockville
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: overnight metro parking

Hi. I parked on Friday and intended to return from NYC today on Monday. But won't return till tomorrow. Tuesday. Am I in trouble?

Gaithersburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: overnight metro parking

Sounds like you might be fine from what people wrote above, "Friday to Tuesday before Midnight". At worst, you'll get a ticket, which would probably be cheaper than you'd pay to park for that time anyway.

Rockville
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: overnight metro parking

Thank you!!!

Charlottesville...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: overnight metro parking

Does anyone know which South bound metro stations are the best and safest for leaving your car?

Edited: 10:24 pm, December 15, 2017
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: overnight metro parking

Not sure what you mean by “south bound station.” I wouldn’t leave a car overnight at any station where it’s technically prohibited, even though the advice in this thread is that you can get away with it over certain days of the week.

Lack of routine police patrols in a Metro parking lot over specific nights may be a strategy for saving a few bucks, but IMHO that’s a compelling reason *not* to leave your car there.

Reply to: overnight metro parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted