We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC Lockers @ Smithsonian

Stillwater...
1 post
Save Topic
Washington DC Lockers @ Smithsonian

Hello,

my kids and I are taking our first trip to DC in June. We are going to do the White House Tour and you cannot bring anything in, but they don't have a bag check.

I have read on here that people recommend that you use the Smithsonian Lockers, but the SI website states that the lockers are for use only while in the museum that you are in. Are they really strict about this or should I be able to leave my stuff in their lockers while we do the White House tour?

Our hotel is 18 miles away and we will be using the Metrorail for transportation and it will be me with a ten year old and a one year old so the easiest option is best! I realize the Union Station has luggage holding, but it is expensive compared to the lockers and we will be in the SI Museums that day anyway. We will use Union Station if that's our only option however.

So again, my question is are they really that strict at the SI?

Thank you!

Black Hawk Sedans
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
National Pedicabs
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
DC Pedicab
City Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Night Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC Lockers @ Smithsonian

The staff at the Smithsonian have no way of knowing whether you stay at the museum or not. They do not check IDs at the door. Let your conscience be your guide.

Maybe you are staying with friends, but otherwise you will have a better visit to DC if you stay somewhere closer to what you want to see. That commute on Metro is not going to add to the fun.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC Lockers @ Smithsonian

Also will depend on what time tour you have. I assume you have requested a tour thru your representative but you arent guaranteed a tour until 2 weeks before or so

Edited: 8:14 pm, February 23, 2013
3. Re: Washington DC Lockers @ Smithsonian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 25, 2014