We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Singapore
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Dear advisors,

Due to work, I have a weekend in early Jan 2013 in Dulles and would welcome any suggestions to kill time. I should be able to complete my shopping at Leesburg outlet and Tyson during the weekdays and was wondering if it's a good idea to do the touristy stuff in DC, visit the Museums or just have a quiet afternoon tea at Ritz and laze around?

I am staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling-Dulles Airport and will be doing all activities alone.

I will be driving a car and am open to catch the metro into DC if parking will be an issue. If I do drive into DC, please suggest where I can park my car with easy access to DC attractions / metro.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Except for the traffic issues around Tysons Corner, it is not difficult to get into DC on a weekend. You could either drive or park at one of the stations like West Falls Church and take Metro. (Check what track work might be taking place, because there have been a lot of closures in that part of the Orange Line.) The question is What do you want to do? There is certainly no mandate to see DC, since your focus seems to be shopping. (It seems ironic you would come all this far to buy stuff made in your part of the world.)

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

There must be a million things to do in Washington, and only one of them is near Dulles, VA: The Smithsonian Air & Space Udvar-Hazy Museum, free to enter, but $15 to park.

Everything else great is within 5 miles of the White House. I would try to spend my entire weekend in DC. Depending on the metro construction status, you can park at any of about 8 lots that are on the way to DC from Dulles, VA.

The Smithsonian alone has a dozen museums, most between the Capitol and the Washington Monument. Then there are the memorials, a tour of the Capitol itself, interesting neighborhoods with bars and restaurants like Georgetown, Adams-Morgan, Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter (near the Verizon Center), Capitol Hill and Eastern Market. Then you can shop in a mall called Pentagon City, and in every neighborhood I mentioned here.

There is the Zoo, the Botanic Garden, very expensive stores in Chevy Chase (near the Friendship Hts Metro station).

I'm just giving a general overview, but it's definitely worth two solid days.

Also, note that there are two huge shopping malls in Tyson Corner, VA, not just one. And near where you are staying in Dulles Town Center, a similar mall to Tysons Corner Center (the other there is called Tyson II Galleria). On any weekday evening you could go to Dulles Town Center Mall and never have to go to Tyson Corner itself.

My daughter was in Singapore a couple of years ago, and since it was so different from the US, she visited as many intown neighborhoods as she can, and took trains and buses to a number of other parts of Singapore. This is what you should do in Washington.

Also, a mere 60 miles from Dulles, VA, (40 from DC) is Baltimore, a completely different sort of city from Washington. And 60 miles in the other direction are the Blue Ridge Mountains. Look all these places up on WikiTravel and you will get a good quick idea of what they are like.

Edited: 2:44 pm, December 19, 2012
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

I kept leaving out the s in "Tysons Corner". It is always TysonS Corner. Sorry about that.

Singapore
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Hi Darell6t,

It does seem ironic that most stuff though made in Asia, is cheaper to buy them in USA. A pair of Ecco brand ladies sandals can cost SGD140 up (~USD116 up). A Lacoste Man Polo T can cost you SGD180 up (~USD150 up). Not to mention Coach and Burberry outlets in US which are way cheaper than what you get in the stores in this part of the world.

Hi NorthofDC,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will have a look at Baltimore and Blue Ridge mountains.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

I hope you realize that a lot of the merchandise at the outlet malls are made especially for those stores and are not the same quality as what you would get at a regular store.

6. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 21, 2013