We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From IAD to DC center on early morning

hanoi
Level Contributor
52 posts
From IAD to DC center on early morning

Hi all

My flight is 08:54 PM - Las Vegas, NV (LAS) 17.FEB TO 04:30 AM Washington-Dulles, VA (IAD) 18.FEB.

1/ My flight is only 04 hours so I'm sure that we couldn't sleep enough -> Is there somewhere in IAD that we can sleep for a few hours with cheap prices?.

2/ My airbnb checkin time is 3 p.m (and of course it has no luggage services like a hotel)

-> so from morning to 3 p.m , where can we keep your luggage (02 checked and 02 carry on) with cheap prices in Washington DC center so that we visit Washington DC before checkin ?

3/ How can we come from IAD to Washington DC center with cheap prices? By what in the morning?

4/ My family including my 6 year old daughter and my wife so if you have another idea for our itinerary, please suggest, for example:

+/ We can change from Airbnb to the Hotel with 24x7 luggage services...?

5/ as i see, airbnb is illegal in NY, so how is about airbnb in DC?

Many thanks for your help.

12 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

Here's what Id do:

Book a hotel. One that has a shuttle to/from the airport. Like this one:

sterlingvahotel.com/dulles-international-air…

Their shuttle starts running at 5:00, so you'd have to wait a bit, but bag claim will eat up some of that time.

Book the hotel for February 17th. Contact them and inform them you'll be (very) late.

You'll be st the hotel by 5:30. Get 5-6 hours of sleep, then take the shuttle back to the airport and head into town from there.

Where is your Air BnB located?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,954 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

Great plan by Irish Fan.

1. There’s no place at IAD itself to sleep for a few hours upon your arrival. You would have to book a hotel room, as Irish Fan suggested, for the night of Feb.17th. Whether you consider that a “cheap” option depends on your budget.

2. There’s no place at IAD to store luggage. And your only real option in DC is at Union Station, but it’s not cheap. See Tiburon Lockers for details.

3. The cheapest way to get to DC is via public transportation—a combination of buses and Metro. Expect to pay about $10 per person and have the trip take about 90 minutes. A taxi door-to-door would run $75-$80 + tip, depending on where you are going and the trip would be 45 minutes or less at that time of day.

4. Air B&B is legal in DC.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

Keep in mind the only option on arrival would be the taxi, I believe. I'm not sure OP realizes Metro won't be an option for that early on a Sunday morning. Or any morning for that matter...

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,954 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

You’d have to wait until at least 6:35 am on a Sunday to use public transportation. That’s when the 5A bus departs for the Rosslyn and L’Enfant Plaza Metro stations. And the 981 bus which departs at 6:42 am would take you to the Wiehle-Reston Metro station. Metro begins running at 7am on Sundays.

But I doubt you’d want to hang around IAD for two hours after arrival.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

It isn't Airbnb per se (nor is it in NY) that is illegal, it is anyone who rents shortterm under certain conditions. I'm no expert, but I don't think it is as restrictive in DC as in NY, although there are regulations. I think if you are renting someone's single home, it is okay, or a small apt within someone's home (say basement). I think it starts getting questionable when you are renting an apt in a general apt building or condo, as there are limitations on that, and of course, even the owner/landlord may have their own requirements in the lease. I think it is forbidden if the apt itself falls under DC rent control.

There isn't any "cheap" way to get all the way from IAD into DC at 5 in the morning.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

" I think it starts getting questionable when you are renting an apt in a general apt building or condo, as there are limitations on that, and of course, even the owner/landlord may have their own requirements in the lease. I think it is forbidden if the apt itself falls under DC rent control."

A lot of "thinks" going on there.

The only part that's correct: "even the owner/landlord may have their own requirements in the lease"

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

One time I asked my AirBnb host if we could simply drop our luggage even though we knew the actual place wouldn't be ready until later. They said that was okay. So if you haven't asked yet you might want to see. The worst they can say is no.

hanoi
Level Contributor
52 posts
8. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

Hello all

Many thanks for your replies. In conclusion, i think:

1/ I have to rent a hotel for the night 17 Feb if I want to sleep a few hours upon arrival.

2/ I will have to ask my host whether we can leave the luggage before checkin time otherwise we will have to keep them by our self or use other luggage services in DC.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

"will have to ask my host whether we can leave the luggage before checkin time otherwise we will have to keep them by our self or use other luggage services in DC."

You never mentioned where the rental is located.

If you get a hotel room, check out at Noon to get a shuttle back to the airport and then take public transportation into the city, you may not need to worry about your luggage for very long at all.

hanoi
Level Contributor
52 posts
10. Re: From IAD to DC center on early morning

Hello

My airbnb is 1903 Gales Street Northeast, Washington, DC 20002, United States and the host said we can leave the luggage in morning before checkin time.

Any suggestion for us to travel DC on 18 feb after arriving IaD at 5am?

Tks so much

Reply to: From IAD to DC center on early morning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted