We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

Arnhem, the...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

Can anybody tell me something about the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend?

How often does this fery goes, what are the coasts, how long does it take etc.

I'm travelling from the Northern Cascades, following route 20 west..

Is this ferry the best way to go to Olympic Mountains?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Wash ferries site, click about and you can find Port Townsend Keystone ferry which is one you want. They leave about every 90 mins. Nice ride I like the view coming into Poprt Townsend

Seattle
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

The ferry goes all day, usually every 45-60 minutes. The crossing itself is only 30 minutes. You just get in line and go on the next one - no reservations. Occasionally you have to wait for a boat or two. I think it's around $10 for a car and driver, plus a few dollars for each passenger. If you're taking the North Cascades Hwy, Route 20, this is probably the quickest and easiest way to get to the Olympic Peninsula. Sounds like a great trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

Please note - the ferry that departs from Whidbey Island is not actually from the town of Coupeville. There is a turnoff to the left, well-marked- about 5 miles south of Coupeville. The turn-off goes about 3 miles in to the ferry landing. If you are traveling north from the Seattle arera you first take the the Mukilteo ferry to Clinton and then drive up the Islandand past Greenbank. If you are coing from the north and over the Deception Pass bridge, travbel throough Oak Harbor and Coupeville to get to the ferry.

An alternate route is to take the Edmonds/Kingston ferry which is further south. This will take you across the Hood Canal Bridge onto the Olympic Peninsula. Don't miss the drive through quaint Port Gamble. This route is much faster and you only have to take one ferry. However - Port Townsend is a neat town and worth at least a few hours visit.

Whitehorse, Yukon
Level Contributor
17 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

Coupeville is on Whidbey Island, and the ferry landing is at Keystone, only a few minutes away. The fall schedule is in effect, and the ferries between Port Townsend and Coupeville are about 45 minutes apart. Check out the Washington State Ferries site

…wa.gov/ferries/schedules/current/index.cfm… for details.

Both places are great! You can take the ferry, or drive around Puget Sound/Kitsap Peninsula. If you drive, you'll go through Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Bremerton, Poulsbo, and can take a side trip to Bainbridge Island. To get the best of both worlds, you can take the ferry one way, drive the other. For more info on the Kitsap Peninsula (close to Port Townsend), check out website http://www.visitkitsap.com

Enjoy! It's a beautiful area, and if you have time, spend a few days on Whidbey Island. I'm heading to Port Townsend for a few days next week, as it's one of my favourite places.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

Woops, my mistake. I read first two ferry schedules only. They are 90 mins, but later are 45 mins. 90 mins seemed a bit too long. we had to wait once and it wasn't bad particularly from Port Townsend side. I should have been more careful.

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

I would not recommend the Tacoma/Gig Harbor route at this time. It is a nice drive - but with the construction of the new Narrows bridge - from Tacoma to Gig Harbor - traffic is a nightmare. I went to a wedding on Fox Island last month and I crawled at 5 miles an hour for miles. An alternate route would be to take the Seattle-Bremeton ferry and go through the Scandinavian town of Poulsbo and then up to the Hood Canal Bridge. But from North Cascades - your best bet is the top of Whidbey Island over the Deception Pass Bridge and through Coupeville (detour into the tiny town) then over the ferry to Port Townsend.

7. Re: Ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, August 25, 2009