We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If we have to travel in early June 2014.......

newark ohio
Level Contributor
644 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
If we have to travel in early June 2014.......

It appears due to my sons high school commitments we may have to travel early June instead of mid July so...... I assume any high country hiking will be out! I wanted to hit North Cascades, Olympuc national park and Mt.Rainier. What areas usually are open mid June? I know it depends on snow ect but what can the experts tell me? I thought Noth Cascade would be out so maybe we will head to the Columbia river gorge area and the coast. We have 12-14 days to travel.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If we have to travel in early June 2014.......

The North Cascades, of course, are out. Mt. Rainier is likely to be clouded in, so it might or might not be worth a day trip. You won't be able to hike, but you could still see the impressive, snow covered volcano.

Olympic National Park is lovely in June, but I'll add a few caveats. The Hoh Rain Forest will be incandescent with new growth but it is likely to be damp. Light rain or drizzle is possible, and the trails will be muddy. The Pacific beaches will be just as beautiful as always, but they are likely to be a bit cool and possibly a bit drizzly, too. The Dungeness Spit is likely to be dry. Lake Crescent is likely to be dry on its eastern shore, which is where the Spruce Railroad Trail is, and damp from Barnes Creek west. Sol Duc Falls and Marymere Falls will be well worth visiting. In fact, the waterfalls will be at their loveliest in June because of the combination of melting snow and spring rain. The same holds true for the rivers. The Elwha is spectacular in June. I love the Whiskey Bend trails at that time of year. The trilliums are at their peak then.

Most of the alpine areas will be inaccessible, but the gorgeous wildflowers will be starting to emerge along the lower reaches of Hurricane Ridge, and you might be able to hike Hurricane Hill Road. Watching the avalanche lilies blooming right at the edge of the melting snow is quite an experience, and the views up there are stupendous.

The northern half of the park is in the rain shadow of the Olympics, so it is much sunnier and drier than the southern half. I find that this disparity is most pronounced in spring and early summer. Consider basing yourself no farther west than Lake Crescent. ONP is big, so no matter where you base yourself, you will have to do some driving.

You can check out the areas I have mentioned and find seasonal pictures of trail conditions at www.kaleberg.com.

2. Re: If we have to travel in early June 2014.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 29, 2014