We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing time

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
Border crossing time

We're traveling to Victoria, BC in a few weeks, taking the Tsawassen Ferry. We plan to be at the Blaine border crossing about 7:15 on Monday morning, Dec. 3. Can any of you regular border-crossers and commuters give me an idea how much time to expect to get through the checkpoint? We hope to catch the 9 a.m. ferry. Thanks for any info.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,047 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing time

Going north is seldom a big problem. Look on the Seattle form home top right corner

In the article about trips to Vancouver Is a link to historic border crossing times

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
654 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing time

There is a webswite that will give you current border wait times: www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/default.aspx. Usually in the morning there is not a long wait but one cannot always predict the unexpected. For example recently there is was shooting at the crossing that closed it down for almost 24 hours; extreme case this but other more minor things can tie things up.

As you are driving north on I-5 just before the Bellingham exits there is a large digital sign over the highway giving current wait times. This gives you the opportunity to decide to stay on I-5 or to exit at Hwy 543 (known as the truck crossing but open to cars) just before Blaine.

If you want to catch the 9 am ferry, I would cross earlier as you can sometimes run into traffic heading towards Tsawwassen. Once you park in the ferry line there is a cafe there where you can get something to eat and drink.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
811 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing time

listen to 1130 am, they do the border waits every ten minutes all day long

http://www.news1130.com/traffic/article/9171

Edited: 12:41 pm, October 26, 2012
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing time

Thanks all for your comments. We've made this trip numerous times before, but usually in the warmer months when the ferries run every hour and there's not much wait. In December, however, the ferries run every 2 hours, and we really want to reach downtown Victoria around 11. We're staying Sunday night at our Worldmark resort in Birch Bay, about 15-20 minutes to the Border Crossing. Maybe I'll get everyone up a few minutes earlier and head out between 6:30 and 6:45. Have breakfast on the ferry or at the terminal.

Edited: 9:14 pm, October 26, 2012
5. Re: Border crossing time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 28, 2013