We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smallish, quaint towns to visit

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
smallish, quaint towns to visit

We will be taking a driving trip through Washington this summer and would like to visit small quant towns that are not just for tourists. Any suggestions?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

Langley on Whidbey Island

La Conner

Sequim

Port Townsend

Winthrop

Walla Walla

Many will have Leavenworth on the list, for me, the town is just too touristy, but it is worth keeping on the list for the surrounding area, and many small towns nearby.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

Any quaint town is for residents and tourists, so I'd have a tough time separating them. Towns that come to mind, however, and considered by some worth visiting, are Langley and Coupeville, on Whidbey Island. La Conner. Bainbridge Island. Poulsbo. Port Townsend. Leavenworth.

Do you want to share your itinerary and/or time for this trip?

Here's some reading material to help you plan your trip.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28968-c93928/Washing…

www.clippervacations.com

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

I would add Gig Harbor to the list. Maybe stop in Tacoma to see the Museum of Glass, or at least walk across the Bridge of Glass, there is also a very nice large park in North Tacoma called Point Defiance with a drive through old growth forest. Then drive across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, stop in Gig Harbor, stop in Poulsbo, cross the Hood Canal Bridge (it's closed all of June I believe so you should check on that), on to Port Townsend, possibly the Lavender Festival in Sequim (depending on when you will be here), Hurricane Ridge, etc. You could return to Seattle via the Bainbridge Ferry.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

I would add South Bend.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

I would agree with Voyaging, most of towns mentioned so far are what I call touristy. If you really mean that. Here are some small towns i consider not touristy, Darrington, Pe Ell, Pomeroy Waitsburg, Dayton, Colville, Republic.

You could visit Walla Walla, Waitsburg, Dayton Pomeroy, then head north to Spokane and on to Colville, Kettle Falls, Republic, Tonasket, Omak, Okanogan. And you would see some pretty country., not the best Wash has to offer, but still pretty good.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,692 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

It's been said that Port Townsend is just one big tourist trap. I don't agree.

Come here. You'll love it.

Here's a link with information about the Hood Canal Bridge Closing, plan accordingly:

…wa.gov/projects/sr104hoodcanalbridgeeast/

Enjoy your trip,

chuck.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,692 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

Google "rails to trails Washington state". There are many of these great projects in Washington and they all eventually pass through or terminate in a small quaint town.

Lots of great suggestions already in this thread.

Another thought,

chuck.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

I'd add Duvall (sidewalk restoration should be done by summer), downtown Monroe, First Avenue and historic houses sections of Snohomish.

The economy is hitting the area hard, so some of the quaint shopkeepers throughout the state may be going out of business. It is sad, and hopefully things will pick up soon. Thanks for coming out to visit!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

I should have added I have enjoyed visiting the towns listed, that I know, have not seen Langley and LaConnor, and barely remember Duvall. I do not consider any tourist traps, but to me they are touristy.

I particularly enjoy Port Townsend

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smallish, quaint towns to visit

I agree with all of the above named towns. It depends, however, on personal views. Winthrop is worth a visit but I would not go back where I do for other towns. For the most part, driving the side streets of these towns, or finding the original main streets, is enjoyable. South Bend is a good example of this.

Port Townsend? Absolutely agree, much to see and to do in that town and area. And getting there is half the fun, scenic, pleasant.

Snoqualmie Valley: heading north, the towns of Fall City, Carnation, Duvall worth the drive to and around those little towns. We live on a ridge above the Valley and try to purchase things from the locals.

Worth seeing Snoqualmie Falls, outside of Fall City.