We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid-September trip which I hope is okay

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
mid-September trip which I hope is okay

I posted once before and received some feedback but thought one last time I would check-in with locals to see if this sounds okay. Three of us males, ages 72, 48 and 17 will be arriving at Seattle/Tacoma airport on Monday 9/10 at noon. Pick up rental car and head to Gig Harbor where we stay Monday evening, Tuesday and Wednesday. On Tuesday, I thought we'd head to Olympia Nat'l Park to see Hurrican Ridge and Crescent Lake. Wednesday, to Mt. St. Helens and ensure we go to Johnston Observatory. Thursday morning I'd thought we'd put the car onto the Bremerton Ferry and take it to downtown Seattle where we sill stay at the Sheraton. Thursday, I thought we could head to the Market as I believe they call it to sight-see and have dinner then head to the Mayflower Park Hotel for happy hour with Ohio State fans. Friday, head north of the city to explore seaside towns (not sure although there seems to be a nice falls whose name escapes me at this time to see). Either Thursday or Friday if at all possible a ferry ride would be great. Saturday, we head to Chinooks and take the Husky ferry to the OSUWashington game.

If anyone believes I am missing the boat or should see or do something else I'd be open to taking your advice. I sure want to eat well and have some great seafood too. Not sure about Monday though. I would guess mid or early afternoon we would be in Gig Harbor. Thanks to any and all for your advice.

Seattle
Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: mid-September trip which I hope is okay

Sounds like a great trip! Ok, so Mt. St. Helens is a great stop-but it I would just take I-5 up to Seattle rather than the ferry.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
2. Re: mid-September trip which I hope is okay

Okay, on the I5 drive as opposed to ferry. I thought it would be enjoyable to take a ferry ride into the city but perhaps there is some aggravation to it or something of that nature.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: mid-September trip which I hope is okay

You are going to be doing a bit of driving. The Ferry ride is really spectacular way to enter Seattle and beats the heck out of late afternoon rush hour through South King county. You might want to consider doing your trip to Mount St. Helens, then back to Gig Harbor. When you go to Hurricane Ridge, instead of coming back to Gig Harbor take the Ferry from Bremerton into downtown Seattle for your next nights stay. This would give you a ferry ride and reduce your driving a bit. The drive from Gig Harbor to Seattle is worth missing - nothing to see. Your Seafood dinner in Gig Harbor could be at Anthonys -- their cedar plank salmon is excellent. They have an early bird special with that item if you are eating before 6pm. I don't know why you are staying in the Harbor but it is a good choice. There is a botique hotel downtown on Harborview drive, with a view of the water and within walking distance of many shops and resterants. Wish I could recall the name -- try googling hotels in Gig Harbor as probably will not be on the travel sites. Other spots to stay are all grouped along the freeway which is not much of a setting.

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
260 reviews
4. Re: mid-September trip which I hope is okay

We drove out to Washington state early last September and enjoyed visiting Mt. Rainier NP and a side trip over to Mt. St. Helens which my wife and I both agreed was worth the side trip. We also stayed at the Crescent Lake Lodge and enjoyed some very good food at their restaurant (you may not have time to stay there). We also drove up to the Hurricane Ridge parking lot and took the hike up to the top of the ridge; (however it might be considered more than just a moderate hike-not for the elderly or handicapped). We had clear weather for our trip so the views at Rainier and Hurricane were great. Cannot comment on Seattle but the National Parks in Washington were very enjoyable.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: mid-September trip which I hope is okay

"(not sure although there seems to be a nice falls whose name escapes me at this time to see)" - You must be thinking of Snoqualmie Falls. That's out east of Seattle on I-90.

For a drive north to see the water, I'd recommend either the Chuckanut Drive between Bow and Bellingham or take the Mukilteo-Clinton Ferry onto Whidbey Island and stop at some of the parks there: Double Bluff Beach, Fort Casey State Park, Fort Ebey State Park, Deception Pass, and then return around the north end of the island via highway 20 and I-5.

For seafood I'd go to Chinatown. Ho Ho Seafood Restaurant is very good.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,029 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: mid-September trip which I hope is okay

Welcome, BobofBellevue.

7. Re: mid-September trip which I hope is okay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 07, 2009