We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi from the UK

My hubby and I were going to do this trip a while ago but had postponed it as my brother and his wife will now also be coming so 2015 is the year!!! I know it's a ways off but we have lots of planning to do lol!!

Although we are regular travellers to the US we have not been to your beautiful part of the country before and would be so grateful for some advice.

So far the plan is that we fly into Dulles and then drive straight to Luray for a couple of nights. Our plan is to drive down to the Smokies but we are trying to sort the first stages at the moment.

Could you please advise of a good stopover between Luray and Blowing Rock? We would rather stay somewhere small as opposed to Roanoke for example. Also do you think Luray is a good base for a couple of nights. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Hello, Mummabear--

There are a few places you could consider between Luray and Blowing Rock that are smaller than Roanoke.

1. Floyd, VA--nice main street, arts & crafts, wineries and Blue Ridge close by.

http://www.floydvirginia.com/visitors-guide/

2. If you want a --really-- small place, there's a nice B&B in a tiny town called Woolwine (population about 1000):

http://www.mountainrose-inn.com/

3. Lynchburg is a larger town and about an hour or so off the Blue Ridge Parkway. History, shops, etc.

Here's one option on a place to stay:

http://www.federalcrest.com/index.html

Have a look at the websites to see if any of those appeal to you. There is also a helpful lodging locator here, if you like B&Bs:

www.innvirginia.com/listings_search.php

There's a link partway down to "View map, click"--this brings up a VA map where you can click on the various locations to see what might be available. There are several regions that border the Blue Ridge area so you have some options.

I have not personally been to Luray, so I can't comment on that. Hopefully some others here can provide some insight.

--Iolanthe

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi Lolanthe

Very many thanks for all the info. We will be flying into DC and driving straight down to Luray so will probably spend 2 nights there now. We are still not sure whether to drive from Luray straight to Blowing Rock but you have give me many options to research.

Thanks again, much appreciated :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Hello again!

I'm not sure if I should start another thread for this but could I also ask about Chinoteague Island? We want to make this one of our last stops before flying home so it will be around beginning of October. Are the mosquitoes still out in full force then; I was hoping they may have long gone lol!!

Thanks again :)

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

You probably will get more responses with a specific Chincoteague post. Mosquitoes are usually not bad, unless there are some unusually warm and/or rainy days. Close to the water there is usually a breeze so that helps with bugs.

About parkway, I really like Hotel Roanoke in Roanoke - it's a city, but a small city with a friendly vibe. Also agree that Floyd is nice place to stop and explore.

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Thanks I will put another post on soon for Chincoteague. Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions :)

Chester, Virginia
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Not sure what type of places you would prefer to stay at (price range/hotels/how nice, etc.), but are you planning on sticking to Skyline Dr. & the Blue Ridge Parkway? Or taking the highway from Luray to Blowing Rock? If you plan to stick to the Blue Ridge, you may want to look into Peaks of Otter Lodge. It's not high-class by any means, but it is right on the parkway in Bedford, VA. I have stayed there several times and it has beautiful views over a lake and of Sharp Top Mountain. There is also a restaurant on site. This is close to the Natural Bridge, which would be worth checking out if you have never been. Closer to the Blowing Rock area I have stayed at Valle Crucis B&B. We had a great time here and can't wait to go back, the owners are so nice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi Mkyerby

We will definitely stay on the BRP but after talking it over between us I think our plan would be to go from Luray straight to Blowing Rock and will probably spend 3 or 4 nights there. There are so many places we want to visit but obviously time is a factor. We will probably stop off at Floyd maybe for a bite to eat and try also to make a few stops for viewing. We are used to long drives, do you think this sounds okay? We may have time to stop at Peaks of Otter.

With regards to accommodation, we are not into big facility hotels etc, kind of like more lodges, cabins, and B and B's. Cost will also factor in, we hope to average around $150 - hope I'm not being too optimistic lol!!

I will check out that B and B!

Many thanks again to everyone for all the help :)

Chester, Virginia
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

If you stay off the BRP and stick to highways the drive from Luray to Blowing Rock is about 5 hours, if you stay on the BRP the entire way you're looking at about a 10 hour drive with no stops... that might be fine for you, but for me personally that would be too much as I'd want to take my time and enjoy the surrounding sites and beauty. Just my opinion though! I believe the rooms at Valle Crucis B&B run from about $140-$199 depending on which room/what time of year it is, so that may work for you! Their website is http://vallecrucisbandb.com/ . This website has a great list of places to stay near Blowing Rock: http://www.blowingrock.com/accommodations.php . And lastly this website has places to stay in Boone which is only about 10-15 minutes from Blowing Rock... exploreboonearea.com/PlacestoStay/tabid/54/D… .

Happy planning!

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi

Gosh that is a long drive - I didn't realise it would take that long on the BRP. We will definitely have to look at a mid way stop then. I thought it was maybe 6 hours or so but totally agree with you that we need time to enjoy the drive.

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Sorry, can I just confirm that it is about 10 hours drive on BRP from Luray to Blowing Rock or is that time for the whole of the BRP. I am getting a bit confused lol!!!