We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

We are travelling from Florida to Massachusetts the middle of October. We thought we would try and detour and take the Blue Ridge Parkway. Are we crazy trying to drove from Asheville to the end in a day? I need to be in Mass for business so we do not have a lot of time. Is this too ambitious? We figured we would stay in Asheville the night before and get an ear;y start and stay somewhere near the end of the BRP at the end of the day.

Any tips?

Also any suggestions for pet friendly hotels on either end?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

I think you will be tired of it long before you get anywhere near the end. Without stopping to go to the bathroom or eat, it's still over a 12 hour drive, and not always pleasant. Unless you plan carefully, you'll have to go far off the BRP in some areas to find a place to stop for gas, etc. I suggest you plan to do part of it, then get off and get on a faster road. Getting on in Asheville and going up to Fancy Gap near I-77 is a very nice stretch.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

The BRP can be very pretty, but as stated above, a little goes a long way. You won't be doing anything like highway speeds, so if you are using a GPS device, you will see your ETA rapidly getting later and later.

Do about an hour, if you must, and get off.

3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 26, 2014
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor