We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

taking a foreign student from Los Angeles to University of Virginia

without renting a car

non stop seems the easiest, LAX to Dulles or LAX to Reagan

is there public transportation to Charlottesville where U of V is located?

Mentioned in this post
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

Charlottesville does have an airport, and US Airways has flights from both Dulles and Reagan National to there.

If you don't want to fly, you could take Amtrak or Greyhound to Charlottesville (although I think the Greyhound station is not actually in Charlottesville, but in nearby Crozet),, I would recommend flying to Reagan National, not Dulles, as you're closer to being able to connect to those services at National than at Dulles.

Edited: 10:55 am, July 07, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Crozet
Crozet
Virginia
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

Thank you I will check flights from National to Charlottesville.

Mentioned in this post
Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

Sometimes its cheaper to fly from LAX to CHO. depending on the day of the week. United Flights use IAD ( Dulles) as a hub. USAirways Hub is Charlotte ( STAR ALLIANCE ) Or Chicago. DELTA'S Hub is Atlanta. Check the Airline prices on Trip Advisor to figure the best route for you to get here, then book accordingly. This will probably be cheaper than taking a cab to the Amtrak staton or bus station in DC, or Alexandria and then getting a ticket to Charlottesville. The Greyhound bus station is on West Main St in Charlottesville Also note that here are no direct flights from DCA (Regan National) to Charlottesville (CHO). When I fly to the West Coast , i go through either IAD or CLT from Cho.

Mentioned in this post
Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

To ansewer the rest of you question, Charlottesville has a Public Bus System , unfortunately it does not serve the airport. Cabs and limo's are available. Some of the Hotels offer Airport transportation.

Mentioned in this post
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

See if Charlottesville still has that flight from Chicago in case that helps

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Best travel route LAX to University of Virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 10, 2014