We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi,

A group of us are planning a drive from Asheville to Charlottesville via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

1) Asheville to Roanoke (via Blue Ridge Parkway)

2) Spend the day at Roanoke

3) Roanoke to Charlottesville (via Blue Ridge Parkway)

4) Spend the day at Charlottesville

As we are a little short on time, we were thinking of doing part of the journey between Asheville and Charlottesville via the I-81.

Would the stretch between Asheville to Roanoke or the stretch between Roanoke to Charlotesville be more worthwhile to see via Blue Ridge Parkway?

Also, is Blue Ridge Parkway worth the drive? Should we just travel between Asheville and Charlottesville via the I-81?

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Is it worth the drive? If you enjoy nature, beautiful mountains, scenic views, a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway will make you smile. If you are rushed and just don't have the time, then travel I81 and get good glimpses of the mountains as you make faster time.You don't have to drive long stretches of the Parkway to appreciate it. Calculate the extra time, if any, you have for traveling, factor in the 45 mph speed limit (or less) for BRP and determine how much time/distance you can allow for a wonderful diversion. As part of your trip if you plan to be in Roanoke, get on there, drive 30 miles to The Peaks of Otter, 70 miles to Buena Vista, or 120 miles to I64 and on to Charlottesville. Take a look at a map for easy enter and exit points close to I81 for other choices.

BRP map

www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

Here is a link to the Blue Ridge Parkway Facebook, great photos......

facebook.com/pages/…14012079006

Hope this helps.

Edited: 2:20 pm, March 04, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Thanks for your information, its really useful.

One more question - Do you know how long the drive would be from Asheville to Roanoke via Blue Ridge Parkway? Would it be too ambitious to attempt to complete it in one day with short pit stops along the way?

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

It's about 270 miles from Asheville to Roanoke on the BRP. That would be approximately 6+ hrs drive time at 45 mph compared to traveling on I81 and arriving in Roanoke in about 3.5 hrs. The BRP in NC is not as convenient to I81 as it is in VA, so you will save more time using I81 in NC and enjoying the BRP in VA. However, if you don't mind a long travel day, the BRP drive from Asheville to Roanoke is interesting and beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

May I ask a question too?

My wife & I will be spending two nights in a B&B in Afton, VA then plan to drive to another B&B near Floyd, VA.

I would like to take the Blue Ridge Parkway from Afton to Floyd all the way. Can somebody tell me roughly how long a drive it would be. I think it's about 140 miles so would 3.5 - 4 hrs be about right?

Mentioned in this post
Afton
Afton
Virginia
Floyd
Floyd
Virginia
5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 12, 2014