We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia

L G
Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Topic
Virginia

Do you need beach tags on Virginia beaches? If so, how much do they charge?

Heading down to the Virginia area this summer with my family any suggestions of some must see attractions or amusement parks, etc.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia

I had to Google "beach tag." The answer is NO -- free beach all day! (But you would pay to park if you're driving in for the day rather than staying in a hotel in the resort area.)

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia

You say "Virginia area" but I wonder how much area are you thinking about? Are you looking for the "must see and do" just at the beach or all over Virginia? Until you get back to this, I'll assume Virginia Beach is to be your home base. At Virginia Beach, you should check out the aquarium (which arranges marsh tours and dolphin/whale watching tours too), Cape Henry lighthouses, Military Aviation Museum. If you love nature, you could visit Back Bay and participate in some programs or walks; hiking trails are at First Landing State Park on the Chesapeake Bay, not far from the resort area.

In nearby Norfolk you could visit Nauticus and tour the Battleship Wisconsin, and catch a Tides baseball game at Harbor Park (Orioles affiliate).

Take a day trip to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. Take another day trip to tour Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, or Jamestown.

L G
Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia

Thank you for your help. This is great. We would b be staying in the Virginia Beach area but would probably take a few days to do other things like the aquarium you mentioned and an amusement park. I think my children would like the marsh tour. Is that on foot?? or by boat? I heard there are two different amusement parks down there, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens. Which one is closer and or better than the other or are they both about the same?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia

Marsh tour is by boat. virginiaaquarium.com/educational-adventures/…

Busch Gardens is closer by an hour, and better in every way, if you ask me. Some people swear by the roller coasters at Kings Dominion, but since I don't do roller coasters, I can't say which one is better.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia

Paramount Studios' "Kings Dominion" amusement park is located by I-95, and is 20 miles north of Richmond.

Busch Gardens "the Old Country" amusement park is located by I-64, at Williamsburg VA. It is rated as the USA's prettiest theme park, by the parks trade association. The different sections are designed to resemble different European countries/ cultures.

Both parks have extreme thrill rides, as well as kiddie rides, and stage shows.

Edited: 1:30 pm, February 07, 2013
L G
Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia

Great information..thank you so much!! Appreciate it. Now just have to find something affordable to stay at..

L G
Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia

If you aren't staying in the resort area and you need to change do they have changing facilities? And what is the fee to use them?

8. Re: Virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 10, 2014