We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ski near Burlington

Ft.Lauderdale
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best ski near Burlington

I am traveling in mid February with some friends and we are staying at the Sheraton in Burlington, I was thinking of doing Stowe, Sugar bush and Jay peak, I don't mind driving to jay if ridding is going to be fun, we are renting 2 cars a front wheel drive and a full size 4wd SUV, so we can drive the SUV in case of the storm, I was also considering Bolton was rather do larger resorts instead. Any recommendation on resorts or activities in Burlington?

thanks

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ski near Burlington

.I only have two things for you.

First if you have time you should the night skiing at Bolton. It's different, fun and something you should try at least once.

Second, just because you have a four-wheel drive doesn't mean you drive anywhere in any kind of weather. If it is snowing and the road are coated, and you’re not used to driving in snow, don’t let the SUV make you over confident

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ski near Burlington

Stowe is great, but expensive. Day tickets are almost $80.

That said, check out Sugarbush and Smugglers Notch. Bolton is nice too, but smaller. As mentioned above, they have night skiing.

Also heed the driving advice the above poster gave. Don't get overconfident with a 4x4. I actually like driving our Accord in the snow better than our Tacoma!

Ft.Lauderdale
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ski near Burlington

I do know that, but I have experience driving in the snow, last month I drove in Frisco, Co in a big snow storm they had, it wasent easy but you know just drop the speeds and drive extra careful and thats it, of course I understand under certain condition it is completely undrivable, am I am forced to stay in the hotel I will. One more thing What about crowds, I chose a bad week, I am going the week after presidents weekend that is still holiday time, I realized that after the Airline tickets were bought, but oh well nothing I can do now about it, I was thinking my best bet would be Jay since its further north I should expect less crowds. About the night skiing I have done it before in PA, but that week they want like 45 for night skiing i dont know men I think thats to much, inst it?

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ski near Burlington

If you are coming skiing during a USA holiday then Stowe, Sugarbush and all other resorts will be packed. Jay would most likely be your best bet due to the fact that a lot of the traffic at Jay is from Canada and they have very different holidays then us. Also, Jay typically has the most natural snow than the rest of the moutains in VT -that is important since snow is scarce this winter. It's been years (almost 10) since I've been to Jay but I've heard it's still as good as I remember:)

Happy Travels,

Ash

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ski near Burlington

Burke Mountian would be another area that will be less crowded, but it's a 2 hour drive from Burlington. Jay will be busy, but not as busy as Stowe for sure. Sugarbush will be busy too, but it's large and spread out, so crowds do get diffused.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Vermont
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ski near Burlington

You might also want to look into Mad River Glen - IF they have a decent number of trails open. They have no snowmaking so it's all natural snow, which meant they had to open really late this year. Very cool, mellow, low key atmosphere. No snowboarding allowed, though, so if you have snowboarders in your group this won't work.

Even though the resorts will be full of people, I'd still try for at least a day at Stowe and maybe Smugglers' Notch. Both great places to ski with enough terrain that you won't feel too crowded. Patience is the key, I've found, when skiing holiday weeks. I've done it with my family for the last few years because that's when they can come to visit. Attitude is everything when those lift lines are long!

Have fun!

Ft.Lauderdale
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best ski near Burlington

Thanks for the advice, river glenn is not an option we are all boarders, except one of us, yes I think ill do one day at stowe, the second at jay, and the third at sugar, that should let me see a good amount of terrain that VT has to offer in the north. We are going to have a blast in this trip since its a bunch of friends.

Out of topic, any advice on Tahoe, a week after this trip I am fliyng into Tahoe for 2 days of ridding, short trip on time for 2 resorts, I was thinking Squaw and Alpine Meadows. My hotel is in north tahoe I dont plan driving to heavely or the reosrt down south

Well thanks guys.

Iapreciate your advice.

The only thing I am not looking forward is the 6 hour drive from NJ to VT, but oh well its all part of the fun.I got to stay in NJ for a party, its more of a formality i am forced to do.

8. Re: Best ski near Burlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 26, 2009