We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

San Mateo
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

Girls trip starting from Narragansett RI on Monday, October 6th. Need to be back in Providence RI on Wednesday the 8th at 5pm.

So far we would like to visit Woodstock, Sugarbush farm, and Stowe.

How much time should we allow for each place? Any other places we should consider?

Recommendations for light hiking, fall foilage, covered bridges, must see, shopping, and dining?

What are the best routes for our trip?

oh, place to stay? We only have 2 nights! One suggestion was to leave really early on Monday, visit Woodstock area and make our way to Stowe. Spend 2 nights in Stowe. This would give us a full day there, but we would have to leave early (I think) to get to Providence by 5pm, right?

I have a reservation at the Green Mountain Inn for 2 nights (2 night minimun), but I can cancel and book 1 night at the Stowe Mountain Lodge if splitting up the nights makes sense.

Any opinion about GMI vs SML?

Your guidance is much appreciated!

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

This may be more of a personal thing, but if I only had two nights, and a 4+ hour drive on either end, I would definitely opt for 2 nights in one location. Otherwise, it's just way too much time packing/unpacking and driving in the car.

Stowe for 2 nights is a good option and you should hit some decent foliage for those dates, if not right in the middle of peak foliage.

Whether you stop at Woodstock on the way up, perhaps for lunch, is up to you. It's maybe a 30 minute detour (each way) off the interstate. Again, probably a personal preference, but for me I'd leave early and aim to get to Stowe by lunch, eat lunch in town and then go check in.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

Evening SFalice,

Adam speaks sense and also as you have found getting a 1 night lodging reservation in October is a challenge. Stick with Stowe for 2 nights and do a long loop on your one full day....

San Mateo
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

I think you are right about staying in one place for 2 nights. Maybe we will keep the Green Mountain Inn reservation.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

Agreed, 2 days in one place is the way to go. There are plenty of light hikes around Stowe. Let us know what 'light' means to you and we can advise. My fav is driving up the toll road, then walking, hiking, or scrambling as much as desired on the many trails at the top. Superb views. And the rec path down in town is superb for flat, leisurely walking or biking.

San Mateo
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

Light hiking would be moderate, some incline and simple switchbacks okay, less than 5 miles. Something doable for fit women who do not hike on a regular basis.

Views sound nice. You mentioned driving up the toll road. What might that be?

6. Re: Itinerary and lodging for Vermont trip in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 21, 2015