We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont with no car

Germantown, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vermont with no car

I would like to travel to Vermont via Amtrak from DC the first week of October. I don't want to rent a car. What is the best town in Vermont that has the most shops, museums etc. within walking distance. I don't mind a long walk. But basically I would like to see a lot of things without a car. Thanks in advance for your help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont with no car

Take the Vermonter to Burlington.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont with no car

Is part of your aim to see foliage too? First week of October is too early for Burlington.

If foliage is not on your itinerary..then yes. Burlington.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont with no car

Is there any other real option for what the op is looking for without driving

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont with no car

Woodstock though a week might be too much without a car. Stay right in the village. Walk to restaurants shops Billings Farm Museum or the Nat'l historic park. Hike Mount Tom. You would have to arrange transportation from the train station in White River to Woodstock.

If you do go to Burlington you'd have to arrange for transportation from the station which is located 20ish minutes outside Burlington in Essex Junction.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,888 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vermont with no car

IMO, Burlington is the #1 choice by a mile. Plenty to see and do, plus great sunsets from the rec path over the lake and NY's Adirondaks. The Flynn Theater is a gem for live performances of all types. Arrange for a taxi ahead of time to meet you at the Amtrack station in nearby Essex Jnct. We use Everywhere Taxi - reliable and among the cheaper in the area.

Germantown, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vermont with no car

Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. It sounds like Burlington is the best place to visit.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
410 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vermont with no car

Burlington also has a city bus service which might come in handy; I've used it a few times. Their website says the drivers are striking, starting Monday, but perhaps that will be resolved by the time you arrive in October :) .

http://cctaride.org/

Germantown, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vermont with no car

Thank you NYYYVA. I will check the site.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vermont with no car

Yea, the CCTA bus is an easy ride from the Amtrak station into downtown Burlington.

10. Re: Vermont with no car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 20, 2015