We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covered Bridges from Burlington/Stowe to White Mountains

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Covered Bridges from Burlington/Stowe to White Mountains

Hi, I'm going to be flying into Burlington in early September and plan on spending a couple days in both Burlington and Stowe. Afterwards we will head to North Conway to hike in the White Mountains. I want to make sure we at least see one covered bridge on the way because, well, we are in Vermont! Does anyone have any suggestions on a route from Stowe to North Conway to ensure seeing a covered bridge with beautiful scenery? We don't mind going a little out of the way. Thanks in advance!

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Covered Bridges from Burlington/Stowe to White Mountains

Perhaps this will help, but no guarantee from me on the accuracy, so you may want to verify info/location of any particular bridges beforehand. http://www.coveredbridgemap.com/vt/

Personally, from Burlington, I always take I-89 to 302 through Crawford Notch over to North Conway. I think it's the most direct route and I love driving through Crawford Notch. There are no covered bridges ON that route, but maybe you'll find a side-road that has one.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Covered Bridges from Burlington/Stowe to White Mountains

There are a couple right in Stowe. Emily's Bridge comes to mind. There are also quite a few in Lyndon which would be a slight detour on your trip from Stowe to Conway. Greenbank Hollow Bridge in Danville would not be far off your route either. There is a bridge on Cabot Plains Road that you can no longer drive through but you can still check the bridge out and it is located on top of a hill with a million dollar view. Not far off Route 2.

Just checked out the link that Adan posted- great find!!

Edited: 1:39 pm, March 11, 2014
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Covered Bridges from Burlington/Stowe to White Mountains

From Stowe, there's a nice covered bridge in nearby Jeffersonville, about 13 miles away.... and since you'll probably want to drive thru Smugglers Notch, that cuts the drive down to ~7 miles or so.

For hiking in the whites, I'd strongly suggest the fallsway and brookbank trails from the Appalachia trailhead on Rt. 2, just east of Jefferson NH. A moderately pitched but easy 1 hour hike round trip, with very pretty views up and down the Snyder Brook, incl several waterfalls. There are many more challenging trails in that immediate area too.

Edited: 8:53 pm, March 11, 2014
Willow Street...
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Covered Bridges from Burlington/Stowe to White Mountains

Don't know what route takes you from I 89 to north conway

If you drive over route 2 from Montpelier, you can drive north to Lyndonville.

We have several covered bridges.

I 93 goes from south of St Johnsbury over to past Littleton where you can pick up 302 through crawford notch.

5. Re: Covered Bridges from Burlington/Stowe to White Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, March 16, 2015