We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Snowboard trip to VT?

Level Contributor
138 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First Snowboard trip to VT?

I live in Toronto and was thinking about taking a ski/snowboard trip out to Vermont towards the end of February.

I consider myself a good skiier, but just learned snowboarding this year (but have picked it up pretty good...)

Thinking about driving out there and Stowe is the name I'm most familiar with, but I also hear it's the most expensive. Should I go there, given I am not an expert snowboarder and may not get "full value"? Since I'm driving, is there really any point in considering hitting multiple resorts, or just enjoy one this time around?

Lastly - how long should I plan the trip to be? Or rather - how many days should I plan to be on the slopes (and I will extrapolate travel/etc. time from that...)

Edited: 9:26 pm, February 26, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Snowboard trip to VT?

Stowe has most apres ski. Otherwise doesn't matter. How long? I like a week but that's up to you? If you have a few days you can mix it up with another mountain. No best answer

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Snowboard trip to VT?

Maybe Jay would be a good option. They typically have the best natural snow, and it would be a bit closer drive for you. Then if you want to try another mountain, Smugglers Notch is a ~1 hr drive.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Snowboard trip to VT?

PS - If you want evening entertainment, restaurants, etc... and don't mind not staying right near the skiing.... Another option might be to stay in Burlington. Much more there for restaurants, pubs, music, shops, etc... than any other town in VT. For skiing, Bolton Valley (a nice little resort), Stowe, Smugglers Notch and Sugarbush are all within ~1 hr (Bolton is closest... ~35-40 min).

vermont
Level Contributor
97 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Snowboard trip to VT?

Our friend from Toronto has driven to Stowe twice since she moved there to visit Stowe. I would suggest you have a minimum of 3 days to ride. Stowe has something for everyone and at all price points. If you are a beginner/beginner-intermediate rider, there is plenty at Stowe to enjoy. Spruce peak side of Stowe is great and the triple on Mansfield side is a great place once you get your beginner game on! The lift ticket is the hardest cost to swallow but the snow making and grooming at Stowe are the best you'll find. If you're driving from Toronto - you want to be assured you can ride in good conditions. There is a great shuttle in town to the mountain, so you can park your car for the time you're in Stowe. For lodging and dining you'll find plenty of options and there are 2 grocery stores in town (shuttle drops you steps from Macs Market) to fill your backpack to take to the mountain. Good for you for making the ski/ride change and thanks for thinking about a trip to Vermont.

5. Re: First Snowboard trip to VT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 04, 2015