We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions

Vermont
Level Contributor
191 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Road conditions

What is with the roads? We have had a home at Stratton for 25 years and never drove in such bad conditions as this week. Main roads were clear but secondary roads I.e. Rte 30 was hard packed snow and not sanded.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions

It's been the worst couple of weeks I've seen in 30+ years. The ice storm from a few weeks ago seems to have stuck to the roads and the plows haven't yet been able to fully dislodge all of it.

Vermont
Level Contributor
191 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions

We did not have the ice storm in southern VT and when I drove back to MA just a few days ago, the road was fine. My husband heard that the highway department pre- treated the roads for the most recent storm with an ice melt which is supposed to scraped up with the plow but they lack the funding to complete the process and it melted and froze on the roads. Please note the the Stratton Mountain Access Road was scraped to bare pavement.

Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road conditions

We are from Tampa and are flying into Burlington on Tuesday. We're going to Stowe, and were strongly recommended to rent a car, but I'm worried about the road conditions, being we have never driven on ice before. Would we be better off to take a taxi, or do you think the conditions will be better by then. Thanks for any advice!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road conditions

sunnyFLgirl you may be a little nervous at first, but should be fine. Just drive at a speed that feels comfortable to you, ie slower then the posted speed limit. You'll get used to it. The state calls what they do to our roads "safe roads not bare roads".

To everyone else on here, I flew into Albany,NY on 4 January and the first thing I said to my husband as I started driving home at 2am was well we'll know when get to Vermont cause the roads will be awful. Perfectly bare right to pavement, until we crossed the state line. Lets face it Vermont's road policy is all about saving money. Sad way to invite our welcome visitors.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road conditions

Sunny - No worries. The roads will be fine (and most already are completely clear). The temperatures have moderated and should be in the 30s (maybe even 40s) thru Monday, so everything will be fine by Tues (when it chills down again!).

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road conditions

PS - The major roads are all in excellent shape.. Some small secondary roads still have a few patches of frozen icy crud here and there, but it's not an issue at all assuming you drive with appropriate speed and keep your eyes open for the bumpy frozen patches. Keep an eye on the weather forecast of course, since we're supposed to get some rain/sleet/snow tonite.... but my thinking is that you'll have no problem driving on Tuesday.

Vermont
Level Contributor
191 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road conditions

The secondary road, Rte 30 was in good shape coming back to MA this afternoon although the hard crusty ice was still on the sides of the road. As other posters have stated, just take your time driving, make no sudden moves and brake slowly and you will be fine. If you see a long line of traffic behind you, pull over and let them pass...that way, your drive will be less stressful. Have fun. Stowe is magical!

8. Re: Road conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 07, 2015