We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foliage trip - 10/1-10/3 or 10/8-10/10?

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Foliage trip - 10/1-10/3 or 10/8-10/10?

I enjoyed a wonderful fall trip to NH and VT a few years ago, and this time would like to get away with my wife for a few days to enjoy the foliage, which it sounds like will be spectacular this year!

We can either come this Tuesday to Thursday (10/1-10/3), or the following Tuesday to Thursday (10/8-10/10). I realize that we'll see great color either way and that there is no true peak, but I'm wondering which would likely offer us better viewing.

In VT we are interested in Woodstock and as much of Rt. 100 as we have time for, based on where the best color is. Our NH itinerary would focus on the Kancamagus, Crawford Notch, and Franconia Notch, which are the areas that we've enjoyed on several family summer trips and know fairly well.

I originally assumed that the later dates would offer more peak viewing and less green, but the trip reports from this past week have me confused, as they seem to indicate that the leaves are really popping now and I don't want to be too late. Lodging is not a concern. Any recommendations from the locals would be greatly appreciated!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foliage trip - 10/1-10/3 or 10/8-10/10?

David can comment best on Woodstock. Up here in the Stowe/Underhill/Cambridge area near Burlington the colors are just starting and will likely be peak in the next ~5-6 days or so. I'd guess that the areas you mentioned in NH will be similar (maybe a tab earlier for peak). For me, I'd probably opt for this coming week, 10/1-10/3, since the weather forecast is spectacular.... 70s & sunny all week.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foliage trip - 10/1-10/3 or 10/8-10/10?

Morning Travelling Family,

I'd come for the later date in Woodstock as the weather for the next 10 days seems wonderful with no wind or rain, I still think that you will still see great colour on your drive if you come the earlier dates. I just hope you've charged your camera batteries up....

3. Re: Foliage trip - 10/1-10/3 or 10/8-10/10?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 01, 2014