We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

malaysia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

We are thinking of doing a tour which starts from Boston to Williamstown, Lenox and Stockbridge, Bennington, Shelburne & Stowe, the White Mountains and Mount Washington, Bar Harbour, Acadia National Park, Ogonquit and then back to Boston.

Will it be past peak for fall foliage... this is the only time slot available for the tour?

Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Yes in some places and no in others. Peak is an instant. pre and post peak are still lovely.

malaysia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Thank you, Neslaw1.

I have no experience of Fall in New England, but based on my research, I had the uncomfortable feeling that I would be travelling the wrong way on this tour. I should have given more details .... a link to the trip map is on tauck.com/tours/usa-tours/new-england-travel…

Trip Itinerary :

Oct 7 Arrive Boston

Oct 8 Boston...

Oct 9 Lexington & Concord, and on to Williamstown

Oct 10 Stockbridge & Lenox in the Berkshires

Oct 11 Bennington, Shelburne & Stowe, Vermont

Oct 12 The Green Mountains to the White Mountains

Oct 13 The view from Mount Washington

Oct 14 Portland, Maine

Oct 15 Boothbay & on to Bar Harbor

Oct 16 Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park

Oct 17 Ogunquit, the beautiful place by the sea

Oct 18 Journey home

I don't want to shell out a lot of money, just to see stick season, but am limited to travelling this period of time, so wonder if I should visit New England or book for another part of the country. I would love to experience the wonderful color palette of Fall , if this were a good time to visit, based on the above itinerary

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Your dates seem fine for seeing foliage, but you will be spending most of your time in the car. If you just want to drive through New England, then perhaps this is not an issue. But my advise is to cut your number of destinations in half, save some for another trip, and spend 2 nights in several locations.

And I agree with the previous response that there is plenty of foliage to see before and just after peak.

Edited: 6:39 am, August 19, 2013
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Morning Cahaya,

Great trip, your direction is fine. Go for it! Shame Woodstock VT is not even to be passed through.

malaysia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Ok, thanks, I will hope for a visual feast!

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Wow, that is quite an enthusiastic itinerary, at least for the Vermont portion. For example, putting Bennington, Shelburne & Stowe all on one day means you will be spending a good portion of the day just driving. You could spend a couple of days in any of these locations.

As for dates, on the first part of your trip heading north from Boston, I think you will see plenty of foliage in the Berkshires and southern Vermont. In the latter part of your trip, you may not have a lot of color but the Maine coast will provide plenty of beautiful sights. I spent a week in Boothbay Harbor last summer and loved it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

If you see one leaf you have seen them all (ok, that is an exaggeration but you get the point). If I had to plan a trip not to take, this could be it from a never getting out of the car point of view. Everyone travels differently so maybe this is what you like but I would prefer to miss something over trying to see everything and experience nothing. I made up this list of things to do just in the Mount Wash area and it would take you a week.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling… We could do the same for the Berkshires, different areas of Vt, ME, etc.

BTW, have you looked for lodging. Many places will have 2 night minimums at this time of year.

Edited: 12:00 pm, August 19, 2013
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Your destinations are great, but I agree w/ Adam - it's jam-packed and would be nicer to cut a few places out. The Bennington-Stowe day is 3+ hours of driving, so you're not going to have enough time to really see any of those 3 destinations in any depth. I'd spend Oct 12th (and maybe the 13th too) in Stowe, the hit Mt. Washington for a couple of hours on the way to Portland.

Similarly, Bar Harbor / Acadia is superb, but it's a haul and I'd never go there for just 1-2 days. 3 days would be a minimum stay IMO to make the long drive worthwhile. If you're a hiking/biking/nature fan, then ditch Ogunquit and/or Boothbay in favor of 3 days in Acadia. Otherwise, if you're a driving fan, see them all and enjoy.

9. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 21, 2014