We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in New England. Is it doable?

12 posts
Save Topic
10 days in New England. Is it doable?

Hello all,

Thank you for reading this post.

We are a couple with a 6 year old boy. we have spent this summer in Boston so far and will travel New England for 10 days on early August.

I borrowed several weapon-heavy guide books from libraries and spent several nights for research online and offline.

So here is my draft itinerary. Please help me out. What do you think?

Oops. before starting the itinerary, I should tell more about us, what we do & don't like in general.

1. We dislike shopping and want to avoid shopping malls and outlets at all cost.

2. We travelled Rhode Island two years ago and exclude RI this time.

3. We love beautiful shorelines, never tired of it, but don't have to be inside water all the time. Maybe one afternoon will be enough for swimming.

4. While staying in Boston for 6 weeks. we have had enough museums and freedom trails. Though we love little towns and want to see more of them, we don't necessarily need more revolutionary war stuff.

5. My husband's no 1 priority is to cover 4 new states for him - Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, and Connecticut.

Ok, here is the Itinerary.

Day 1

Leave Boston

Kennebunkport & Ogunquit

Spend the first night in Kennebunkport (already made a reservation)

Day 2

Spend the second night in Portland (already made a reservation)

Day 3,4,5

Acadia NP (already made a reservation)

Day 6

Leave Acadia NP early in the morning to the White Mts.

Enjoy Washington mountain and Flume Gorge.

May stay the night at Gorham, NH (any recommendation for the night?)

Day 7

Green mountains

Day 8

Cornish, NH to see the the Cornish-Windsor Bridge

Canterbury Shaker Village, Shaker Road

Day 9

Concord, MA

Mystic Seaport, CT

Day 10

Cape Code

Spend the last night between Cape Code and Boston.

Day 11

Back to Boston and catch 11:30 am flight back home.

We made reservations for the first five nights but not the last five nights yet. Any recommendations?

We don't want to hurry up and move fast between spots. If this itinerary is on tight side, I'm very willing to cut a couple of places out.

We want variety of experiences so if this itinerary is boring or redundant at times, please advise so and give me recommendations for new destinations.

For CT, I considered Litchfield Hills but couldn't figure out how to put the region in the picture since it is a rather wide area. So instead I include Mystic Seaport. We are not fans of too touristic place. So I'm slightly doubtful about this decision.

Thank you for reading this long posting and please please help me.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in New England. Is it doable?

I like the beginning of your itinerary - thru day 6. From there on, you're doing too much traveling and packing too much in to have a realaxing time IMO. My thoughts:

Day 7 - Green Mtns: If you REALLY want to spend just 1 day, then you probably want to hit Stowe, thgouh I'd do 2 days, since you're going to spend most of a day checking out, driving, checking in and grabbing food. Not much sightseeing and relaxing time.

For days 9 & 10, you're again doing a fair bit of driving - esp just to see Mystic, CT. (Why not just stay there, instead of Concord?) Cape Cod could easily take up a couple of days if you want to walk/bike along the dunes, swim, walk the beach, see Provincetown, etc... I'd cut out a couple of places and turn a couple of 1 night stays into 2.

12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in New England. Is it doable?

Thank you so much.

I revised the itinerary accordingly. You are great help!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in New England. Is it doable?

Most welcome - enjoy your trip!

4. Re: 10 days in New England. Is it doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question